Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

Ebay chips

Old 01-27-2007, 08:57 PM
project_hatch
Power by Uncle Ben's Rice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ebay chips

I know most of the ebay "chips" turn out to be a 4.7K ohm resistor they tell you to install in your o2 sensor or MAF sensor but I found these and they actually look like ECU chips but don't they have to be installed in an ECU for the burning process? My question is, do they even look legit?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/5-CHI...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 01-27-2007, 09:54 PM
2001TEGGSR

Originally Posted by project_hatch
I know most of the ebay "chips" turn out to be a 4.7K ohm resistor they tell you to install in your o2 sensor or MAF sensor but I found these and they actually look like ECU chips but don't they have to be installed in an ECU for the burning process? My question is, do they even look legit?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/5-CHI...QQcmdZViewItem
You car doesn't have a Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor. It does have a Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) sensor, however.

As for the chip's - they look like they are to be inserted in a chipped OBDI ecu. I would recomend a VAFC over these.

Expect to run pig rich, and possibly loose power with theese. They contain a "generic" map which 99% of the time will do more harm than good. If you want to tune your car, get a wideband and either street tune or get it up on a dyno.
Old 01-28-2007, 02:07 PM
project_hatch

planned on eventually hitting a dyno when funds are more abundant but was curious about these "chips"
Old 01-28-2007, 03:28 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Originally Posted by project_hatch
planned on eventually hitting a dyno when funds are more abundant but was curious about these "chips"
Junk.

They aren't even rewritable, so if you wanted to change the program, you couldn't. They dump too much fuel in and raise the rev limit and vtec engagement point way too high. Stray away from them...they will cause more problems for you than doing it the proper way.
Old 01-28-2007, 04:36 PM
dubcac
I

Originally Posted by Däs Schmoo
Junk.

They aren't even rewritable, so if you wanted to change the program, you couldn't. They dump too much fuel in and raise the rev limit and vtec engagement point way too high. Stray away from them...they will cause more problems for you than doing it the proper way.
Precisely.
Old 01-29-2007, 12:24 PM
project_hatch

:werd: thanks for the info