Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

Valvoline Throttlebody cleaner SUCKS AZZ...need suggestions

Old 10-03-2002, 07:18 PM
AwwsChwA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valvoline Throttlebody cleaner SUCKS AZZ...need suggestions

ok, note to all who have thought of using Valvoline Throttlebody cleaner...it might as well be pressurized water...doesn't do jack shizznit.

The throttlebody has a light coating of black stuff around its edges. Any idea how to get that stuff off? I don't wanna take the throttlebody off, but I guess I will if I need to. Thanks guys
Old 10-03-2002, 07:51 PM
inspyral
のんびり~(´ε`)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I changed my headgasket and had the IM and throttle body off the car, I looked at my t/b, and from the backside, there was some black stuff around the edge of the butterfly plate. I cleaned the t/b with intake cleaner, but the black stuff was on there pretty good. It felt almost rubbery, like high temp silicone or something. I'm not exactly sure, but I think it was applied from the factory to help seal the throttle plate when it's in the closed position.
Old 10-03-2002, 10:12 PM
aut0tek

awwschwa: Try Autozone Carb cleaner... I use it to clean all kinds of shizz.

Harry
Old 10-04-2002, 11:44 AM
v4lu3s

Originally posted by inspyral
When I changed my headgasket and had the IM and throttle body off the car, I looked at my t/b, and from the backside, there was some black stuff around the edge of the butterfly plate. I cleaned the t/b with intake cleaner, but the black stuff was on there pretty good. It felt almost rubbery, like high temp silicone or something. I'm not exactly sure, but I think it was applied from the factory to help seal the throttle plate when it's in the closed position.

every honda throttle body i have dealt with had the same stuff on the backside of the butterfly too....thats for 2 h22a's, an f22a1, d15b7, d16z6 and a b18c1...
Old 10-05-2002, 08:14 PM
Eddiebx

Yah, its this sealant they put on from the factory, to help maintain a good seal. I find that on all the TBs I have played with, the sealant is all cracked and **** though.

If you ever taken apart the butterfly plate from an H22 or something, each butterfly has the same coating on the edges too.