Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

A Mystery For An Expert!

Old 05-05-2006, 07:31 AM
Alton

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A Mystery For An Expert!

Problem: Engine service light. 1988 Integra
I recently replaced two bent valves and the timing belt. Everything works fine, except the service light comes on. The ECU blinks 9 times, which indicates the cylinder position sensor. However, I tried another sensor (used) and got the same signal. So I ordered another ECU from a junk yard, and I still get nine blinks. I have checked the wiring to the ECU, the sensor plug, the coil resistance. The engine works fine, but can't get a smog check with the light on. What else could it be??

Whoever can solve this problem, gets an "expert" rating!
Old 05-15-2006, 07:18 PM
theman

Default Check lite on?

Ok simple but info needed. First double check the timing marks. Second did any of the wires come unplugged from the connectors themselves. The wiring is correct to best of your knowledge according to the Factory manual pinout. Check all fuses. How soon does the lite come right away or does it take a while before it sets a code. The sensor all by itself with the two wires it the TDC sensor. One wire is blue with a green stripe, the other is green with a yellow stripe. Which part did u replace, the dist or the TDC sensor?
Old 05-19-2006, 12:39 PM
mberndt

Did you do the work yourself?
If so, maybe it was not timed correctly... If the sensor thinks the cylinder is out of position, and you have replaced all of the parts and get the same problem, it could be because the engine is not timed correctly...

I agree with theman, recheck the timing