Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

is this tune shop tryin to rip me off??

Old 03-20-2006, 12:40 PM
madman4you

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is this tune shop tryin to rip me off??

ok, soo i got a stock first gen b16. with a t3/to4 garret turbo. im going with a chipped p28 ecu. soo i know had to buy a new distributer, the actual p28 ecu, obd0 to obd1 harness. a map sensor which he says cost 150$, a seperate chip for the ecu thats 150$ i know about the map sensor but can anyone tell me what they think the other chip for the ecu is for and can i get it cheaper. like hes over priced the obd0 to obd1 harness i can get it for a 100 off ebay hes telling me 250. and i can get a obd1 distributer for a 100 and he says 200. i cant get away from the tuning cost which is 300 but im trying to see if i can get as much shit bought my self, soo i know hes not tryin to take extra money from me. any info would really help.

Last edited by madman4you; 03-20-2006 at 12:43 PM.
Old 03-20-2006, 12:50 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Yes, you are getting ripped off.
Old 03-20-2006, 01:34 PM
mr.crx

you answered your own question you are ripping your self off if you go through him. he gave you his prices and you went and found better ones you would be a fool not to just get the parts you found
Old 03-20-2006, 05:59 PM
madman4you

ok but im just wondering if you know what the basic chip for the p28 is. like is there a standered chip that you need to tune the ecu.
Old 03-20-2006, 10:50 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Originally Posted by madman4you
ok but im just wondering if you know what the basic chip for the p28 is. like is there a standered chip that you need to tune the ecu.
Go to www.moates.net and look at the uberdata chipping kit. That is what you will need to run any of the free programs like uberdata or crome to tune with. They run $15.
Old 03-21-2006, 08:45 AM
rev

Just keep this in mind, he has a shop with overhead, insurance, experience, and time invested in it. He has to make money some how. If you support your local business then he can stay there and continue to service your area. How much time does he have invested in figuring out what parts and part numbers you need for your exact combination? How much is his knowledge worth? Did you know exactly what you needed before you went to him? Are the parts you are getting off ebay new or used? what about his parts? What is the quality difference? If a part is wrong or doesn't work, what kind of internet warranty do you have? If he gets the parts and they don't work as he claims the odds are he will take care of it.
I'm not going off on you but I want to understand that as a business owner, we have to waste a ton of time looking up parts for customers based off of our own experience then listen to them complain about the price. The $300 tuning charge is a bargain for sure so he has to make money somewhere and the markup on performance parts is less than half of standard replacement parts. I guess we could just buy everything on ebay then wonder why all of our shops have closed down...
Old 03-21-2006, 11:37 AM
madman4you

thanks for your input... the main thing is he first told me 500 is what i would need for tunning and computer. he obviously got somthing messed up. and i understood that took it into consideration. However going from wanting 500 to 1300 is a huge jump in price and that makes you think once or twice. im just thinking is it worth it to go to obd1 from obd0 and go through him or just do a standalone and get my friends bro to go to a local tune shop that lets him do shit himself??? he doesnt know much about hondas but he knows alot about engines and standalone systems. i just want the best i can get for my money and i dont have much left. i know i cant afford 1300 at the dyno thats for sure.
Old 03-26-2006, 02:43 PM
rev

If he doesn't know much about Hondas - especially the obd 0 and obd1 swapping stuff then I would take it to somebody else anyhow I guess. Is there a local Honda guru you could get to do the wiring correctly? Then maybe take it back to this guy for tuning if he can handle the software part of it.
Old 03-26-2006, 04:40 PM
madman4you

thanks guys its settled im just going to buy all the parts and take it to the tune shop, it will be pricey but doing it right the first time is much easier then doing it again.
Old 03-29-2006, 11:07 AM
asheylarry

any shop is going to rip you off. they are there to make money