Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

Need some help

Old 09-14-2002, 02:01 PM
westcoaststyle
Still here... sorta...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need some help

So, I got my tranny back yesterday and got all that hooked up... today I finished putting all the extra crap on (flywheel cover, axles, blah, blah) and proceeded to try the first turn-over.

It all went well, but after about a half an hour of trying (no not all in a row, I let it rest) it still wouldn't start....

I checked everything and fixed a small fuel leak I had in my AEM rail and tried again... this time my wife yells at me and says she sees some sparks fly from under the car near the passenger's side tire... I look and there's nothing over there that could have possibly done that.... I try again and the same thing happens....

I'm thinking that my battery may be bad and possibly the starter... I think the starter is what is shooting the sparks because they're so intense, that it could only be something that is directly connected to the battery.

What bothers me is that I tried for 1/2 an hour to start the thing and only after that did the spark thing happen.

Anyone have any ideas/suggestions?? I'm going to take the battery down to AutoZone tomorrow to see if I can exchange it and try again, but that really doesn't explain why it wouldn't start....

HELP!

Thanks!
Old 09-14-2002, 07:48 PM
Andy
Hybrid Forum Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's up?

Is it cranking over but not catching and starting to idle or you turn the key and just nothing? If it's trying to start but not catching, shut the car down, turn the key to on position (don't start it) and listen for the fuel pump. If you don't hear it, that may be it (my hatch has done that a few times). Also, check all your grounds. There is a ground strap that goes from the frame rail onto one of the brackets that bolts to the tranny, make sure that's hooked up. Check your battery terminals too, make sure their clean.

If your getting nothing at all, check the fuse box under the hood. There's a square 80 amp fuse that goes between the battery and the rest of the electrical system. I blew that one time and had a hell of a time.

Not sure what the sparking could be, but that may be the starter. I'd also try maybe removing the starter, spin it by hand and then try it again (maybe it's not meshing with the teeth on the flywheel). You could also hook it directly to the battery to make sure it goes. Seeya.

'06 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Stock, for now
'98 Civic EX - CTR headlights and grill, Kosei K1's, for sale
'90 240SX - SR20DET that will never get installed, project car.
Old 09-15-2002, 06:10 AM
westcoaststyle
Still here... sorta...

It's catching but not starting. I left the external coil wire off for the first few cranks just to get the oil circulating before I tried to actually start it. When I connected the coil wire, all went well. It popped and sputtered, but never actually started. I do hear the fuel pump kicking on and that's actually how I found my fuel leak. That's fixed now.

I'm taking the battery down to AZ now and we'll see what happens when I get back.

If that fixes the sparking problem, can you think of anything else that it could be?

If it doesn't, I'm going to try to replace the starter.

This is really making me crazy!

Thanks Andy, you're always a big help!! :thumbup:
Old 09-15-2002, 08:17 AM
Andy
Hybrid Forum Moderator

Default What's up?

You mentioned an extrenal coil? Are you using some sort of aftermarket ignition system? If so, make sure everything is wired correctly for that so your getting power. I woud have the battery checked, but it doesn't sound like that's the problem. If your getting fuel, all you need is spark and the correct timing. Make sure you check that too. turn the engine to TDC on the crank pulley and make sure the cam gears also line up as being set to TDC. Also, if the distributor is set all the way retarded or advanced, try changing that back around the middle and see if that helps (if the spark is too late or too early, it might not start). Aside from that, you've got just start eliminating the posibilities. Seeya.

Old 09-15-2002, 09:57 AM
westcoaststyle
Still here... sorta...

I had the battery checked and they said that it was pretty low, but still good. It's on the charger now so we'll see.

I'll try the distributor, I had it set in the middle, but I'll see about moving it around a bit.

All the ground wires are good, both on the tranny and the one at the front driver's side.

I'll check the coil again. I'm using an MSD blaster external coil and I'm 90% sure it's right.. I'll check it though just to be sure.

Again, I appreciate the help Andy.

I'll let you know how it goes...

Thanks!!!!!!
Old 09-15-2002, 02:46 PM
westcoaststyle
Still here... sorta...

I GOT IT RUNNING!!!!

It was soo stupid too. I looked at the wrong diagram when I was putting the plug wires on so they were wrong. I put them the right way and it cranked right up!!!!

I did have an oil leak in the oil pan, but I knew something like that would happen. At least it's something relatively easy to fix.

Now for the puter stuff... I am getting a check engine light. How do I figure out what code I'm throwing and how to fix the problems???

Thanks!!
Old 09-15-2002, 06:48 PM
Andy
Hybrid Forum Moderator

Default What's up?

Sweet! I was thinking it sounded like something with ignition, I'm glad you found it. I did something similar with an old S-10 Blazer I used to have. I started out replacing one plug wire at a time but somehow ended up with them all apart and no idea how they went back together. I finally figured it out after hunting through service manuals for an hour.

Is the leak from around the edge of the pan? Make sure all those bolts and nuts are there and tight. Might be worthwhile to change that gasket too. Seeya.

As for the check engine light, look down by your ECU and you'll see a little 2 plug green plug (it may be in a little rubber boot). Just take a little wire and jump those two connections. Turn the key on and the check engine light will flash. Could how many long flashes and short flashes you get. There are a lot of good of sites out there with better explanations and lists of what each code means (sorry, I'm not on my computer so I don't have any). Seeya.

Old 09-16-2002, 12:37 PM
westcoaststyle
Still here... sorta...

Ya, www.jdmfan.com has all of the codes. Crucial Si pointed the site out to me.

I acutally have a brand new seal on the oil pan, but I think I may have overtightened it and I didn't put any sealer on it so I'm going to just take it off and do it all again. Better safe than sorry...

I'll jump the connector and figure out what the codes are.. I may need your help figuring out what they acually MEAN once I get the definitions...

Thanks Andy!
Old 09-16-2002, 06:35 PM
westcoaststyle
Still here... sorta...

Ok, threw a 51 (don't know what that is.. may have counted wrong), a 92 (evap), and 21 (vtec sol)....

What do I do?
Old 09-17-2002, 08:04 AM
Andy
Hybrid Forum Moderator

Default What's up?

You may have to check those codes again. Here's a link to all the OBD I ECU codes.

http://www.ff-squad.com/Specs/ECU-Codes_1.jpg

For the code 21, make sure all you VTEC wiring is hooked up to the solenoid and at the ECU as well. Evap shouldn't throw a code (I know a ton of people without theirs hooked up). Your running an OBD I computer right? Seeya.

Quick Reply: Need some help