Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

Need Advice on drivetrain problem for gsr

Old 09-08-2002, 01:15 PM
TurboTegGSR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Advice on drivetrain problem for gsr

My friend has a 98 gsr with a jackson racing supercharger with a 9 psi pulley, clutchmasters stage 5 clutch with the flywheel and a quaife lsd. Here is what happened. He was driving around last night and he noticed that the car was not driving the same and that it was hard to put in some gears, mostly first, second and third. Also he has had problems with the car grinding into third gear when he has been racing. So he goes to race and then he launches and shifts into third and we see him hit his brakes and comes to a stop. He said that it grinded into third and when he floored it, it was not working right. I think what he means by this is that it started to lock up the front wheels and had a bad vibration and noise. Essentially his car could not deliver power at all. So we push the car and it moved fine for a couple of feet and then it would lock up. Then we would have to roll the car back and then try to push it again. Also it seemed to lock up worse when the steering wheel was turned. This would occur whether the car was on or off and whether the car was in gear and whether or not the clutch was engaged or not. If anyone has any ideas on what the problem could be I would appreciate it if you would reply.
Old 09-08-2002, 06:48 PM
likaciv
Pretty Much its a Civic

Dude, the trans has taken a poop. My trans used to alway grind into second when i raced, then one day it just said no , and locked itself into second gear.. I eventually got home to drain the fluid and i apperently shattered a syncro or somthing. So all in all i had to replace the trans. sorry
Old 09-08-2002, 08:42 PM
TurboTegGSR

Hey thanks alot man I appreciate the advice and it looks that you are right. We pulled the half-shafts out and they were fine on both hub and differential ends. Pulled tranny off and clutch and pressure plate were fine also. The input shaft spun freely with no unusual noise and it did not lock up. So we put the half-shafts back in the diff and spun them and it kept on locking up, so it looks like something is wrong in the diff. Thanks
Old 09-09-2002, 03:45 PM
likaciv
Pretty Much its a Civic

No prob, a diff can be replaced (upgrade to LSD)with some expirience the gears and syncros area biatch to do, almost not worth it
Old 09-09-2002, 04:01 PM
-KangaRod-
Captain

arn't quaife's lifetime guarantee too?
Old 09-09-2002, 07:35 PM
likaciv
Pretty Much its a Civic

not sure about lifetime, but i have heard good things about them.
Old 09-10-2002, 08:11 PM
TurboTegGSR

My friend thought it was a quaife but later found out that the guy put in a integra type r lsd. So he is just going to get a new tranny since it was grinding real bad anyway. Also he was wondering if a lsd has to be welded in or does it just fit in where the open diff is. Thanks
Old 09-11-2002, 12:58 PM
likaciv
Pretty Much its a Civic

I never have put one in before, but my idea would be that no welding would be neccessary. Ya a grinding trans is never good