Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

Ls/Vtec or GSR engine

Old 09-21-2005, 05:08 PM
AILS91

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ls/Vtec or GSR engine

Hey I have a question, I've done some looking around this forum and was wondering if I should just keep my stock 91 LS engine and build up the bottom end and slap a GSR head on it and go LS/VTEC or spend around 3000-4000 in a newer gsr engine? I dont have a ton of money and I was wondering if I could get some desent power out of a LS/VTEC engine....
Old 09-25-2005, 05:39 AM
gingas

You could build the bottom end ls/vtec but IMO I would go w/ a 94-01 GSR motor not as much torque as ls but more horse power off the break. Good luck
Old 10-14-2005, 12:30 PM
danksanatra

i was gonna go ls/vtec but i heard alot of bad things about the setup,plus i wanted to stay street legal.so i just went with a 01 gsr motor for my 96civic and i love it to def.but i hella wanted a ls/vtec,a friend of mines has one in his eg.and that shit pulls like hell.

96civic/01 gsr motor"all-motor"
skunk2 intakeifold and exhaust
v2 cold air
dc4-1 header
act clutch and prolite flywheel
15''rota group nwheels on 195 kumo tires
team gravity459"its all fun and games til my vtec kicks in"
Old 10-14-2005, 10:22 PM
jdmeg6hatchy
i

if you go ls-vtec, build up the bottom end! do it right the first time, youll be glad you did.
Old 10-28-2005, 08:51 AM
gsr wannabe

My LS vtech is being built right now...by a 12 yr acura master tech...If you don't know what you're doing, just have it built-it'll cost ya, but if it's done right the first time, it will be pretty reliable...it's when (no offense to those present) noobies read all this on here, get a performance book, and think they can build engines...done right, an LS vtech will last as long as a stock motor...IF IT IS BUILT RIGHT...If you're looking for something to do yourself, stick with a bolt in swap...don't start building frankensteins' unless you want a blown motor...let a professional do it right the first time...If you have to have LS/vtec, pay for it...you'l be happier in the long run...
Old 10-30-2005, 07:02 AM
gsr wannabe

Moderator-Case closed?
Old 10-30-2005, 09:58 AM
AcuraFanatic

A properly tuned LS/VTEC motor will be putting out around 200WHP when assembled, where as a stock GS-R motor will only see about 145WHP. LS/VTEC is more money due to the machining process, it's all about the cash.

Personally I'm a big fan of LS/VTEC.
Old 10-30-2005, 01:27 PM
sherwood
I missed Sean

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AcuraFanatic
A properly tuned LS/VTEC motor will be putting out around 200WHP when assembled, where as a stock GS-R motor will only see about 145WHP. LS/VTEC is more money due to the machining process, it's all about the cash.

Personally I'm a big fan of LS/VTEC.
very true.

do your research and keep tight tolerances when doing everything and it should all come out nice in the end, and put down major power.

one thing that should be noted is the head you use. there were 2 heads used on the b-series vtec motors, one was the pr3 that came from the b16 and b18c5 (or b18c type-r for those who prefer JDM specs) and then there was the p71(?) that comes from a B18c1 (or an SIR-G b18c... GSR here in the states)
the GSR casting will yield a higher compression and more power. many people overlook this and think that the type-r will give the best results when infact when port and polished the GSR head should perform better than the Type-r.

just wanted to tell you this before someone starts spitting the whole pr3 is better than gsr head bull at you.
Old 11-08-2005, 12:45 PM
Phateless
S2K compatible

how much gain can be attributed solely to the fact that the ls bottom end is built, whereas the gsr is stock? what would you get if you built a stock gsr comparably to the ls/vtec being proposed?
Old 11-27-2005, 07:08 PM
georgie

does anyone have a write up of building a LS/Vtec??