Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

GSR and oil??? [B18C1 in 96-00 Civic]

Old 08-17-2005, 07:37 PM
Mkazm83
Snapping bolts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Run a good synthetic, stay out of vtec if you can, and check your oil level every few days. Thats the only advice I can give.
Old 08-17-2005, 07:44 PM
dawrenn

Originally Posted by SP00NFed
my car burns oil sometimes... don't worry about it. just keep an eye on it
I will do that. Since this happened and I am a really anal person Icheck it everytime I get home from somwhere.
Old 08-17-2005, 07:45 PM
dawrenn

Originally Posted by Mkazm83
Run a good synthetic, stay out of vtec if you can, and check your oil level every few days. Thats the only advice I can give.
That is enough, I will take any advice.
Old 08-17-2005, 08:58 PM
94civicEX
I got worms.

Pretty much everyone I know with a GSR or a C1 burns about 1/2 quart inbetween oil changes. Some more, some less.

duck squad member #00003
Old 08-17-2005, 09:24 PM
dubcac
I

What kinda advice is staying out of VTEC????? There's no fun in that!
Old 08-17-2005, 09:36 PM
WiseGuyOnCouch
Live, Die, & Drive Fast!

Originally Posted by dubcac
What kinda advice is staying out of VTEC????? There's no fun in that!
100% agree on that, I tried that for fuel economy purposes this last tank. I didn't make it past the first day b4 some granny cut me off and I blew her off the road for being stupid! I burn about a quart in b/n oil changes and I have pretty much a stock GSR with almost 80K on it, but my TB, WP, piston rings, and much more are about to be replaced in an effort to minimize this little problem b/c oil burn off shouldn't really even be noticable on the dip stick!
Old 08-18-2005, 06:22 AM
Dave-ROR
RAD owns.

Originally Posted by 94civicEX
Pretty much everyone I know with a GSR or a C1 burns about 1/2 quart inbetween oil changes. Some more, some less.

I burn 0 on 3-5k changes...

... as long as I only run on the big lobe once a week.

It's perfrectly normal for these cars to burn oil.

As for the guy who checked before and after 2.5 hours of "racing", if you checked the oil level right after that 2.5 hours then there is NO WAY you would have the same level, unless you were beating the piss out of it before checking it the first time.

It also depends on the oil you use. When I tracked my GS-R it would go an entire weekend of track use and burn maybe .25 quarts with Castrol GTX. The car was getting 6-11mpg so clearly it was "in" VTEC a lot. When I used Mobil1, I burned 1 quart in about 45-60 minutes on the same track, similar weather conditions (about a month apart). Switched back to GTX and all is good again. :shrug:
Old 08-18-2005, 08:45 AM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

Originally Posted by dawrenn
I recently got a 99 GSR engine swapped in my 99 civic. Yesterday is the first day I checked the oil level since I got the swap done. It was right at the first dot/hole on the dipstick. Is losing oil like that normal for a B18C1? I take it to VTEC everytime I switch gears and probably take it to redline 10 or less times a day. There is no smoke whatsoever even when I take it to redline. The engine has 67,000 miles on it. I looked at everything externally that I could and did not see any oil leaks, I have no CEL's and the car is still strong. What could it be?
1) The HYBRID forum is designed for threads like yours. Use it, please.

2) You probably have a motor that is in less-than-perfect condition. Your piston rings are probably letting a bit of oil into the combustion chamber, but not enough to be visible in the exhaust stream. If you haven't done a compression check, do one.

3) Even if the amount of oil consumption is minor, I'd take the steps needed to eliminate it. If the oil is leaking into the combustion chamber, your spark plugs and more importantly, your catalytic converter and o2 sensors will gunk up and fail prematurely.

With that said, please direct all further questions regarding your swapped Civic to either the HYBRID forum, or your CIVIC forum.

<moved>

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!

Last edited by TheOtherDave™; 08-18-2005 at 09:21 AM.
Old 08-18-2005, 10:24 AM
dubcac
I

VTEC motors still consume oil if they are driven in VTEC a lot, whether people would like to believe it or not.
Old 04-29-2007, 04:05 PM
LwdJdmR

has anyone tried those LUCAS products???
i drive a 96 civic dx and well it would burn alot of oil, even though i didnt have vtech. but once i used the LUCAS product i saw my oil not burning as fast like b4. i dunno if that might help you guys. Im thinking of swapping to a GSR motor. good luck guys ^_^