Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

Engine Swap Questions

Old 08-04-2005, 12:19 AM
liscio

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Swap Questions

k so my parents bought a 1992 honda civic sedan which i will buy from them when i can. i was thinking that it would be a waste of time to spend money fixing it up, and so i figured id engine swap it with a newer engine.

k so what are the basic guidelines for engine swapping? like i figured you cant swap a honda engine with a nissan or something....but if i swapped it with an integras engine or something, do the years have to be the same? what types of cars would be compatible for an engine swap for a civic? would it be better to buy a regular engine, or like an aftermarket engine, like is the latter worth the money? how much would it be to get someone to do the engione swap for me (est.)?

thanks for any help someone gives me

btw i saw the sticky of online resourcesabout the engine swaps but i just need some general info about engine swaps which i ddint see in the links
Old 08-04-2005, 01:09 AM
Mr_Goodbar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont know which one is more important but first of all its "like" nothing. Either something is or it isnt. Second, use the search button. Thats the first thing I do when I have a question. You dont want to piss people off asking questions that have already been answered, and you wont have to wait around for an answer. That being said:
http://www.hybridgarage.com/tech/info.html
Search under 5G tech. Your civic is a fifth gen.
You could theoretically swap any engine into any car........but it all depends on how much you want to spend. Remember that $$$$$$$$$$$ can do ANYTHING.

Usually engine swap labor costs about a grand at a good shop and takes about 2-3 days depending on how much of a pain in the ass your swap is. The Kseries swap would be a lot harder than a b series so it would take longer. Time is money so it would cost more too.
Im not sure about what an "aftermarket engine" would be other than a custom built race block. Usually people buy other people's engines. In japan they dont have any emissions control but they have to swap their engines out at around 35k miles so a lot of people buy those engines and put them in their cars here. Also, cars that have been totaled in rear end collisions have perfectly good engines in the front so you could go to a salvage yard and buy one of those. Check out Hmotorsonline. They have a lot of engines for whatever you want.