Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

BOOST - (JDM)d15b VS d16z6

Old 07-11-2005, 07:42 PM
95civiclx
HMT b7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BOOST - (JDM)d15b VS d16z6

im looking to buy a d series motor and boost it. i have a 95 civic with the stock d15b7 motor. i hear that this motor is pretty bad for boost, cause of the tiny rods. i know that the d16z6 can take a little more, because its a nicer engine. but i cant find this engine for sale anywhere. i can find a JDM d15b which has roughly the same horsepower. i was wondering how the pistons and rods are though. is one better for boost than the other? im thinking probably anywhere from 9-12 psi on stock internals. before you say thats ridiculous, check out what people have done at www.homemadeturbo.com with a d16z6 with stock internals....very impressive.

thanks for your help.
Old 07-11-2005, 09:19 PM
b16ahybrid

The d15b7 is ok for boost, i made about 160whp on mine with no problems...
The d15b and d16 are very simular.....both of which can handle abour 220whp for daily driving.
Psi means nothing....tune for a desired hp rating and your good (as long as the motor is capable of it).....stock d-series are good for about 200-220whp for daily driving.....i've seen some as high as 240whp ...
Old 07-12-2005, 05:02 AM
lkailburn
college kid

i don't know the compression on the d15b but for boost, lower is better in the sense that its safer.

either way its mostly in the tuning. dont' cheap out on the fuel management. i'd go with uberdata dyno tuned by professional tuners or if your into that thing tune'd yourself with a wideband,egt and datalogging. uber is still cheap yet very effective. and pairing it with some cheap dsm 450's injectors, and maybe a new pump and fpr for added insurance you'd be good to go.

like b16ahybrid said, shoot for around 200whp for a daily driven car. too much more and beating on it daily and eventually the rods will start to give way. if you have the time and money, get the new d block on a stand and swap in new pistons and rods. you'll be much happier than if you had to take the whole thing out down the road to fix/replace the bottom end.

i just installed my hmt kit on my y7/y8 mini-me so if you need help pickin out parts or what not lemme know.

-Luke
Old 07-12-2005, 06:19 PM
95civiclx
HMT b7

thanks. yeah 200 whp is my goal, but i dont want to mess with internals as of yet. im just going for a cheap HMT set up. i want the d16z6 with the ex/si transmission, cause you start off with a higher horsepower and torque, so i dont have to use as much boost to get where i want. id mainly drive it on the street, so id prefer the close gear ratios, and the low speed power. (0-60 mph) im not really concerned with top end, cause im not going to go 100 on the street, once i start going to the track ill start doing things differently. i definetly plan on 200 whp, and some weight reduction (id like to get it to weigh 2300 with me in it) i have some body work i need to work on, and some paint in about a month, and then the motor and turbo starts in the spring. (buffalo winters are BAD). compression ratio on the d16z6 is 9.1:1 i think. im not sure about the jdm d15. i want to get the z6, but if i have a hard time finding one, i may just turbo the b7. thanks again.
Old 07-12-2005, 07:15 PM
westcoaststyle
Still here... sorta...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the Z6 has lower compression and better rods - FYI. I also believe that the intake runners on the D15B are smaller than the Z6.

did you check www.hmotorsonline.com?
Old 07-13-2005, 05:06 PM
95civiclx
HMT b7

yeah. hmotors online has the d15b, but not the d16z6. what about just the z6 head? (i.e. mini-me swap on to the b7 block) does anyone know the specs (hp/tq/cr) for the mini me with a b7 block? once i did that, would 9 psi still be alot on the b7 rods/pistons? either way i go, im getting a skunk2 intake manifold, but i know the z6 pistons are better than the b7. if i can find the swap for a good price, ill do it. the only place so far is sunshine motors? and they wanted 800 for the long block z6, and another 500 for the ex tranny. thats way too much for that motor and tranny in my opinion. i can get the tranny for 200 shipped off ebay, i was thinking about 5-600 for the engine, maybe 800 for the complete swap. let me know if anyone can find a place to buy the d16z6 online (like an actualy store). THANKS
Old 07-13-2005, 06:30 PM
lkailburn
college kid

95civiclx- when you install the turbo run uberdata as fuel management and get it tuned by max power / innovative tuning. there in buffalo. im taking mine there shortly. i live in rochester.
Old 07-13-2005, 06:31 PM
raiden571
turning u inside out

the y8 has a slightly better flowing head then the z6, but other than that there basically identical. im running 10 psi on my d16z6, and the motor handles it very well, hasnt given me a problem, yet. im in the process of building a motor, shooting for 350 whp on a d16