Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

turbo gsr

Old 06-30-2005, 10:50 PM
tiggergsr85

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo gsr

i have a 94 GSR and im bout to put a turbo kit in her, i have a few questions first...

im lookin to get about 270hp maybe 290 out of her with stock internals, is this possible? and if so what is the best way to go about tuning my GSR with 7psi and about 270-290hp?
C/R is 10.1 so i need to retard the timing 1.25 degrees/#? cam or ignition timing?

the reason im asking to because im doing reseach before i just jump right into it, that way im prepared.
other info:
Garrett T3/T4 pushing 7psi
12:1 FMU

sorry bout all the questions, never tuned a turbo b4 so...haha

thanks for you help
chris
Old 07-01-2005, 04:40 AM
b16ahybrid

Yes 290hp is possible with a stock (internal) b18c. That motor can handle around 300whp just fine.
If you using a fmu your not going to be doing much tuning other then playing with your fuel pressure (using an adjustable fpr)..
Not sure where you got your timing retard number from, but you'll need a btm (boost timing retard) that retards your ignition timing per pound of boost, if you plan to do that..
Or you can avoid all that headache and go with something thats actually tunable such as hondata.Then have it tuned to for more power and reliability.
Depending on the turbo's size (you mention t3t4 so it cant be to huge) you can get away with running more then 7psi and making more then 270 - 290hp..
It's all up to you though and what you want...
I ran hondata and a moderate sized t3t4 on my b16a, made around 280whp running 13psi. I dyno'd @ 248whp running 9psi (whp and hp are different)
Old 07-01-2005, 10:50 AM
tiggergsr85

yes i know you lose hp from the crank to the wheels...
so you think that i should use hondata to tune? i think 7psi is a good starting point b/c with a C/R of 10.1 you dont need as much boost to get more power. you can run less boost and get just as much power as you would running 10psi on a LS or whatever cause it has a highg C/R. im not new to honda motors just new to the turbo scene...haha im going about it the right way by doing my homework first that way i have something to go on... ill prolly be upping the psi later, i just want to start at 7 and work my way up slowly so nothing blows up, heehee

i dont want a headache cause i know i will have one from putting the kit on haha, so imma pick up a hondata before i throw the turbo on... thank you very much for your advice it has helped me alot

anyone else have some more advice?

Peace, Love, Honda
chris
Old 07-01-2005, 04:26 PM
BoostedITR41

that is sound advice above for sure. compression really won't help you on power all that much though because boost makes up for the lost power in compression. with my motor at 8.8:1 compression and a 10.6:1 compression motor with the same basic turbo set up he made peak torque only 500rpm sooner than I did.