Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

Tuning for Dummy's!

Old 10-16-2005, 06:38 AM
beier
A Philanthropical Fruit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is all great reading, thanks for posting.

Do you think we could take a step back, though, and cover some basics of tuning? What's the difference between street tuning and dyno tuning? What are some general procedures you go through in each process?

So far the only two things I've really understood are:

VTEC engagement (when you have a vtec motor) is best determined on the dyno... make a pull with a high engagement point and then do the same with a low engagement point. Overlay the 2 torque curves and set the engagement at the point where they cross.
---
When Vtec is engaging you SHOULD NOT FEEL IT!!!!!!!!!!
It should be a smooth transaction to high cam, if you feel vtec that means its engaging too late and you could have been making more power before it engaged...you would think that having vtec engage should throw you a whiplash it shouldn't.. your losing power..

Good day sirs
Old 10-16-2005, 06:50 AM
psx_pat

Thanks for the info, Integra type-R. I'm thinking to get VAFC-II (cause it's almost impossible to get hondata here) and AEM UEGO wideband air/fuel ratio, do you think if I set up the air/fuel ratio correctly I will feel a big (or at least noticeable) different in my car performance? Also, with my engine set up with B16A injector (I think the injector size is the same as B20b) is it okay to set the fuel pressure same as stock? Not to lean? Thanks.
Old 10-16-2005, 07:26 AM
IntegraType-R
ALL MOTOR KING

Originally Posted by beier
This is all great reading, thanks for posting.

Do you think we could take a step back, though, and cover some basics of tuning? What's the difference between street tuning and dyno tuning? What are some general procedures you go through in each process?

So far the only two things I've really understood are:

Good day sirs
Street tuning is not really guessing like everyone thinks, your using a wideband therefore your doing basically what you would do ona dyno u just dont know if your making any really power changes, it might feel better but who is to say that it is better.. Thats really the only difference, and as far as general procedures go its basically understood that any N/A APP whether you have major bolt ons(cams,Cam gears, new injectors, Springs/retainers) or just your basic bolt ons(I/H/E) the commonly used AFR is 12.9 -13.0 or .1..any lower or higher you usually dont make power or you lean it out too much.. Forced induction APPS usually start around 11.8 AFR-12.1 depending on the turbo or supercharger..
As i've tuned more and more Car's i do realize and have known this already but most cars make their best power between 2000-7500 In any case i never tune 1k-2k any way, at WOT.. And the pulls on the street are usually done in 2nd gear at WOT you never tune any other map otherwise, you start to mess with your gas mileage and what not. Tuning basically for WOT is what you should be doing... As in disable vtec or set it really high and start in 2nd gear, and do you some pulls to see where your AFR is.. and start from say 2-4k and go from there
all the way to redline, as you move your fuel up and down your AFR will stay steady or go lean or rich.. you can figure out the rest from there.. As far as setting vtec on street tuning, it really isn't that hard, as you tend to reach the ending point of the low cam power it will start to drop it off, on the map your tuning, you'll see that if you keep goin up in fuel it'll just richen and if u keep bring it down too much it'll lean out.. low cams usually stop around 4800-5400k so watch between that main area, yes its a broad spectum but guys i've done this for 100+ times i know what i'm talking about.. Thats Where vtec should engage of course after you've tuned the vtec stage..
Tuning vtec really isn't harder then low cam, engage your vtec say about 3000k and tune the whole band.. all the way to redline..make your pulls, find your AFR and start tuning from there doing 2 or 4 grand pulls between each tune, dont jump around cause you map will be sloppy and not good..
when once you've done a rough tune on it, make a few 1st,2nd and 3rd gear runs watching your AFR , good to have a friend cause around 80 its not good to take your eye's off the road.. i'd suggest making the full run so you can see if you have any dips leaning out or riching ..and just see overall how the car feels.. it'll be smoother and alot faster that i know.. any questions feel free to call me at 225-610-2241 or Aim me on dunndeal69
Old 10-16-2005, 07:30 AM
IntegraType-R
ALL MOTOR KING

Originally Posted by psx_pat
Thanks for the info, Integra type-R. I'm thinking to get VAFC-II (cause it's almost impossible to get hondata here) and AEM UEGO wideband air/fuel ratio, do you think if I set up the air/fuel ratio correctly I will feel a big (or at least noticeable) different in my car performance? Also, with my engine set up with B16A injector (I think the injector size is the same as B20b) is it okay to set the fuel pressure same as stock? Not to lean? Thanks.
First off hondata is never impossible to get, i highly HIGHLY suggest you just dl crome and tune with that, its almost better then hondata in my eyes..the Wideband sounds fine, its what i use along with invoated motorsports or however you spell it.. And as for feeling a difference who am i to say it will be big.. i can say this.. it will be cause anything with vtec that is untune has hidden power it just needs to be unlocked, as for your b16a injector's they'll do for now, you might run around 60-90% duty cycle, thats not bad, but its not good neither, try investing in some 310cc's and u should be done fooling with that motor fuel wise, and yes leave your fuel pressure stock Cause when tuning you'll be modifing the maps for fuel you dont need to shove extra fuel into that motor u'll rich it out too much and make NO POWER..its goin to take alot of time, each time i tune my car i learn something new every time.. i've made about 30 different maps in the past 4 months on this car alone..and it reacts differently to each one, some better then others.. take your time and work at it.. its a Detailed thing but in the end my friend i do believe you will be happy with the info i've taught / given yall and will be happy with the way you've learned to tune the motor and allow the most power out of it..
Old 10-16-2005, 08:28 AM
psx_pat

But the only thing I get here (Indonesia) is only VAFC-II. Is this so bad? Thanks.
Old 10-16-2005, 11:11 AM
97civicEXVTEC

could anybody post any info on chipping ecu's and how to do it yourself?? thanks
Old 10-16-2005, 08:33 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Originally Posted by 97civicEXVTEC
could anybody post any info on chipping ecu's and how to do it yourself?? thanks
Check out www.pgmfi.org. They have all of the resources you need. Or you could just send me the ECU and I will chip it for you. :thumbup:
Old 10-17-2005, 05:12 PM
IntegraType-R
ALL MOTOR KING

my sig, says it all my friend.
Old 10-17-2005, 05:12 PM
IntegraType-R
ALL MOTOR KING

i will chip it for u, call me for a price quote, 610-2241(225)
Old 10-18-2005, 01:23 PM
97civicEXVTEC

yea i know a lot of people that will do it, i just wanted to give it a try..