Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

Cars nearly paid off, time to go faster!

Old 06-05-2005, 08:39 PM
rincewind

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cars nearly paid off, time to go faster!

Bought a manual CX a while back without doing any research, then got ticked off after I found it it's pissweak. Now it'll be paid off in two months.

I tried an FTO and two Skylines last weekend. Laughed at the FTO (didn't feel anywhere near as engaging/fun to drive as my civic until MIVEC kicked in.. then I guess it was kinda ok..) and the Skyline, although I know it was fast, felt too big and I felt "removed" from the action.. if u know what i mean? It wasn't lowered, so it lurched around like a family car once you hit the twisty tarmac. Lowered mayb be better, but the Civic weighs 300kgs less to start with, so I figure why not just increase it's power.

So I did a bit of research and found out insurance on the civic will only cost me ~20% more even if I swap the engine and boost it!

So: I need ideas. It's gonna remain my daily driver, so I still need good reliability and drivability (lot of stop/start traffic), i.e. no boost at insanely low rpm's. My secondary goal to more speed is *sleeperness* I DON'T want attention. My civic came with slightly dinged up, very innocuous rims and they're staying on there (unless I find out they're really heavy.. then I'll want to swap them). (Though when I get more power, I'll be putting better rubber on em). Right now the only ICE I have that would add any weight is a small sub in the back. That is also staying as I neeeed music :P

I'm open to complete engine swaps, supercharging, turbo'ing, I'll most likely be replacing the I/H/E. Remember: Inconspicuous, but I want to be able to beat modern day Celicas, Integras, Pulsars etc (stock of course..). I've know turbo's are loud, but what about superchargers? I read they are more reliable for daily drivers.. But a mate says they still have a similar noise to turbos. Is this right? Anyone know of a site where u can hear example sounds? The only cars around hear that are supercharged are big V8's and I can't tell much from them cos they'er loud nevermind the supercharging aspect.

Right now I'm reading from http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclop...-Honda-engines to get ideas of what engine might be swapped in.

A friend reckons if I can get hold of the front cut of a Type R civic, I'll be sorted. Cos I also wanna swap out the gauge cluster and get a tacho in.

As for money, I'm willing to spend up to about 8000 US / 10K AU (I'm aussie). That will also have to cover and brake upgrades or transmission changes I may need to make. Basically everything. How far can I go? and which direction you guys reckon I should take? Thanks. I'm only after a few key ideas and then I'll do the relevent searches and make my own opinion. I just wanted to get the current popular opinions, as if you search, u can end up convinced of anything, with the possibility of not reading the "other view".. if u get me.
Thanks.
Old 06-05-2005, 09:49 PM
Snoopy
been there done that

first i suggest you do a lot more searching. you can find answers to many questions you many have.

with that said.....get a b18c1 swap and throw a turbo on it. if you want to get serious, build it for big boost and still retain streetability. :rick:
Old 06-06-2005, 01:47 PM
b16ahybrid

With the budget of $8,000 to cover everything I would recomend either going with a fully built d16 (sohc vtec) or a stock b16a. Both of those will run your in the neighborhood of $2,000 ..that would leave you with about $3,500 for a nice turbo kit and tuning. Then the rest can be spent on other upgrades...both set-ups are good for about 300whp..
B18c1 works too I supose....it's a bit more but you get more..