Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

engine weights

Old 03-06-2005, 12:23 PM
4thgen91EFhatch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine weights

i searched the forums and google to try and find my answer...

does anyone have a website or something with weight specs of a bunch of honda engines...the only weights i need are of a d-series engine(the ZC really) and a B18 engine(B18a and b)...someone please get me an answer

thanks for the help
Old 03-06-2005, 12:48 PM
robert f thomas

hello 4th, I am building a B18 engine for a 4th. HaHa. Let's see. I put the tranny in the back today to transport to work tommorrow. I need that air wrench to "off" those nasty mounting bolts. So I lifted the tranny how heavy could that be? I move the B18A1 block around all the time in my bedroom making room for other things while I await block developement funds. No internals so I can lift that to my waste and walk hither and 'fro. So how heavy is the block? I weighed the 3 cranks I have the other day they come in around 34 Lbs. each. The shaved crank is one lb less. The fluidampr is around here somewhere that's about 8 lbs. The intake chamber is pretty light now that I mangled the innnards maybe....hey 13.5 lbs without the TB and fuel rail. WoW did I chop the guts out of that manifold. Carried the Cyl head into the machine shop a couple weeks ago- hasn't returned...it was heavy but manageable. Hmmpphh...Just gueassing...342.78 lbs without the greasy buildup.??? Haha. I wish you the best.
Old 03-06-2005, 06:14 PM
Mackenzie C

trannys are usually 75 to 100lbs. so year theyre lift-able.
Old 03-07-2005, 03:37 PM
4thgen91EFhatch

well i'm just trying to figure out if putting the b18 in my hatch would throw off the balance of the car too much...i want my car to be able to handle very near stock and when i get aftermarket coilovers they'll be set up for the d-series engines...does anyone know what type of metal the block of each is made of?

thanks for the help
Old 03-07-2005, 05:05 PM
robert f thomas

I am putting in a B18. I am using Integra front and rear brake and shock-spring assemblies and hubs. That makes fitting questions moot. Are you doing one swap and then the B18 later? I think it wise to do your best "D" swap. Concentrate on the first swap and make it the best. Once completed your 2nd swap ideas will be clearer. May not even use the hatch.
Now if you question wether the 1st swap is viable......don't do it. Wait, study, gather more intelligience and save money. Your plans will produce a strong build if they are developed clearly prior to taking action.
Work backwards. How much time can be used? What is the swap going to do for you? How fast do you need to be? What HP goal? Max Acc or Max Top End Power? etc.
The goals come first then the outline then the actions. Then the developemental management. Who knows? When I began my swap investigation it took 4 mo before I made a commitment. And now, In a short time I will be 50% completed. I feel confident.
Whatever you do do it at your speed. Do you have a quick walk or do you saunter along? I act easy-languid-casual and then... EXPLODE!!! BUt those who know me well understand I kinda preplan my explosions and they get good laughs. So do I. Those who don't know me ask if I am "certified"? HAha. Good tidings to you and your plans.