Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

engine blowing white smoke

Old 02-13-2005, 08:48 PM
civic401

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine blowing white smoke

i noitce that my b18c1 motor was leaking oil into cylinder 2. I did a compression check and the result was 180 across.. i remove the head, and the engine gasket was fine.. my only problem now is how do you check to see if your valve guides/seal are bad?? please help. thanks in advance.
Old 02-13-2005, 10:00 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

If the head is off, I would just replace the seals. The guides wouldn't contribute to blowing smoke but stuck valves. I don't think there is a solid way to test them since I have gotten several suggestions but they don't make sense. You can also replace them when the head is on the car with a special tool that is outlined in a factory service manual.

Is the head back on the car? If you took the head off, did you replace the headgasket? If you didn't and retorqued the head, it is most likely that coolant is leaking into your cylinders and burning causing the white smoke.
Old 02-13-2005, 11:06 PM
civic401

Originally Posted by Shmoo
If the head is off, I would just replace the seals. The guides wouldn't contribute to blowing smoke but stuck valves. I don't think there is a solid way to test them since I have gotten several suggestions but they don't make sense. You can also replace them when the head is on the car with a special tool that is outlined in a factory service manual.

Is the head back on the car? If you took the head off, did you replace the headgasket? If you didn't and retorqued the head, it is most likely that coolant is leaking into your cylinders and burning causing the white smoke.
i just took off the head today. have to run to the dealer and purchase a new gasket on friday.. someone told me i can flip the head upside down and pour diesel on. leave it over night and if the diesel is gone then that means the valve are bad.. have you guys ever heard of this.. thanks
Old 02-14-2005, 02:56 PM
civic401

I call a shop today, contempory auito machine 714-842-3144, and the guy that was working there told me it was my piston rings from what i was telling him.. my question is, how do i know if my rings are bad?? is there a way that i can test it.. he also told me that if there is oil in the chamber my compression results would show up good. your thoughts will be helpful. thanks.
Old 02-14-2005, 05:40 PM
BoostedITR41

compression and leak down tests
Old 02-14-2005, 10:18 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Originally Posted by civic401
I call a shop today, contempory auito machine 714-842-3144, and the guy that was working there told me it was my piston rings from what i was telling him.. my question is, how do i know if my rings are bad?? is there a way that i can test it.. he also told me that if there is oil in the chamber my compression results would show up good. your thoughts will be helpful. thanks.

Compression and leakdown test if the head were on. I would just replace the rings since you're over 2/3's the way there. But if it were the rings, it would blow blue smoke, not white. The white is burning coolant.
Old 02-15-2005, 07:21 AM
qtiger

It would be strange for all your rings to be equally bad.