Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

Temp Gauge is Driving me crazy!

Old 10-14-2004, 10:10 AM
Dave_CA
Just a Honda owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Temp Gauge is Driving me crazy!

I hope somebody has some idea on this one...

I have a 1992 Accord, only 140K on it. Just recently, the temp gauge started going up and down... like with no pattern at all. So, after flushing and filling the cooling system, and replacing the stat, it's still acting crazy.

The fans are cycling as they should, and it appears as though there is flow through the radiator.

My question is this: could the water pump be bad - intermittently? Like, could it be pumping sometimes, and then other times not be engaging fully? It doesn't seem like the flow I see in the radiator is moving as fast as it should be at 2500 RPMs. Also, when I come to a stop, and it starts to heat up, if I rev it up to 2500, it immediately goes back down to normal.

Any thoughts?

Oh and one more thing - how hard is it to get to the water pump if that's what it is? It didn't jump out at me when I looked for it this morning...
Old 10-15-2004, 01:35 AM
sakura99

sounds like the pump is bad. do you notice that the temp is alright when you are at highway speeds,and the temp goes up when you are at slower speeds (<40-45 mph) or at idle?
if your car has 140km on it, i assume you did a timing belt change already. idk what the recommended milage for a timing belt change is for your accord, but my ek was at 90-100,000 miles. anyways, you should change the water pump, thermostat, and maybe the radiator hoses at the same time.
your water pump is on the block, you probably can't see it, it might be behind the lower timing belt cover.
Old 10-15-2004, 10:06 PM
Dave_CA
Just a Honda owner

Yes, timing belt was done around 100K.

Today I discovered that the fans are NOT working as they should be. Seems like one of them is having a hard time staying running, and the other wasn't running at all.

Time to troubleshoot the fans.