Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

Transmission "thump" in new '04 Accord EX V6 AT

Old 08-31-2004, 10:34 AM
waltaz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission "thump" in new '04 Accord EX V6 AT

Hi. I'm new to the forum and picked up a brand-new '04 Accord EX V6 AT on Saturday, 8/28. I've noticed three things I'm concerned about:
1. After the car has been turned off and parked, when I engage 'D', either after reversing or directly, there is a slightly audible "thump" after about 1 - 1 1/2 seconds that is also felt through the gas pedal. It does not do this while in 'D' and starting back up from a stop. Do I have a problem with my transmission?
2. The car pulls very slightly to the right while driving, but enough that I need to maintain slight steering pressure to counter it. Tires are inflated properly.
3. The roof lining has come unattached at the top of the rear window - looks like crap.

Thank you in advance for any input. I am not a "technical car person" and really appreciate your comments and advice.

Hopefully, this is the right forum for these questions. If now, please direct me accordingly.
Old 08-31-2004, 10:52 AM
KAUAI KANE
91' Toyota Supra

Location: Iwakuni, Japan. And where ever the Marine Corps sends me

have you tried to take it back to the dealer and say something about it?
Old 08-31-2004, 12:48 PM
waltaz

I have not called or taken it for a look yet - wanted to educate myself first in case the transmission thing, in particular, is a "known" issue.
Old 08-31-2004, 07:46 PM
HatchVX
Driving a Turbo 2L Terror

Really the only know issue with the trannys are the fact that the higher gears will burn up. Im not sure if that could cause the thump. As for the second one u will need to get it aligned. The third one should be under warrenty. If not just get some 3M adhisive spray and spray the back and stick it back up. Another thing u should check on the tranny is the fluid level and the condition of it. HIH
Old 09-01-2004, 10:08 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Originally Posted by waltaz
Hi. I'm new to the forum and picked up a brand-new '04 Accord EX V6 AT on Saturday, 8/28. I've noticed three things I'm concerned about:
1. After the car has been turned off and parked, when I engage 'D', either after reversing or directly, there is a slightly audible "thump" after about 1 - 1 1/2 seconds that is also felt through the gas pedal. It does not do this while in 'D' and starting back up from a stop. Do I have a problem with my transmission?
2. The car pulls very slightly to the right while driving, but enough that I need to maintain slight steering pressure to counter it. Tires are inflated properly.
3. The roof lining has come unattached at the top of the rear window - looks like crap.

Thank you in advance for any input. I am not a "technical car person" and really appreciate your comments and advice.

Hopefully, this is the right forum for these questions. If now, please direct me accordingly.

Take it back, tell them it's a ugly, piece of shit, and buy something cooler.
Old 09-03-2004, 09:48 PM
tonto0808

Default reply to transmission thump

my family also owns a new V-6 accord with the same problem. our dealer said it is a brake problem that honda has recognized. there is nothing actually wrong with the performance of the brake, just that you get that annoying thump. the dealer said they have had it in the pilot also i believe. the dealer said they have kits in to replace the noise in the pilot, but the accord kits aren't in yet but are on their way. i suggest contacting your dealer and tell him you know that honda has recognized this problem and designed a fix for it, just stay on top of them to inform you when it arrives