Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

Intermittent starting problem "87 Accord EXI

Old 08-25-2004, 10:52 AM
doujea73

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittent starting problem "87 Accord EXI

I have a temp related electrical (injector system?) starting problem. If the car is driven for about 10 minutes or more and is shut off for 10-30 minutes it probably will not start (cranks only). If I unplug an injector the car fires up and runs fine once the wire is reconnected. Or if it is left for 30 minutes or more it will start. I have replaced the main relay; fuel pump; complete distributor; ignition coil. I have a parts car so have all parts available. Any suggestions? Please.
Old 09-04-2004, 10:40 PM
bob01721

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure if this'll help or not, but Honda temp sensors frequently "die cold." Here's what I mean: When the engine's cold, the temp sensor puts out about a half a volt. As the engine warms up, the sensor's output voltage increases... up to about 5V for a fully warmed up engine. Then, for some mysterious reason, the sensor will die, putting out a half a volt again, even though the engine is fully warmed up.

You can drive around like that and not notice it. But when you shut off the car and try to RE-start it, the ECU (thinking the engine is "cold") will flood the warmed-up engine -- which it SHOULD do if the engine's cold.

When the engine cools down (30 minutes?) it'll start okay, cause now it WANTS the extra fuel.

Does this sound like your symptoms?