Honda-Acura.net

Honda-Acura.net (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/index.php)
-   Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/engine-swaps-tech-and-tuning-33/)
-   -   ls vtec 1/4 q's (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/engine-swaps-tech-and-tuning/145039-ls-vtec-1-4-qs.html)

txhatch 07-05-2004 06:23 PM

Post all the info from the time slip. Especially 60' and trap.

DavE96GsR 07-06-2004 12:51 PM

0.06 reaction time
2.431 60ft
6.458 330ft
9.711 1/8th mile @ 76.00 mph
12.481 @ 1k ft
14.867 1/4 mile @ 93 mph

txhatch 07-08-2004 02:23 PM

There's your problem. Its not the setup, its the driver. Get those 60ft's down to about 2.0 and you see much faster times. Some 15" wheels with some bfg drag radials will really help.

DavE96GsR 07-08-2004 09:17 PM

lol...

ok if the engine was running faster i think the 60ft would be better....

he has a good reaction time and he hardly skids out because he gets a good launch...MAYBE he needs to skid out more at the start but i dont think thats how it works? im newer to drag racing so....

has 15" rota slipstreams on falken drag radials...traction isnt the issue...its a stock honda clutch but i doubt that is hindering 1 sec in total time...

we think its the engine....WHY do people think THE ENGINE could be running so slow?

Snoopy 07-09-2004 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by DavE96GsR
lol...

he has a good reaction time and he hardly skids out because he gets a good launch...MAYBE he needs to skid out more at the start but i dont think thats how it works? im newer to drag racing so....

has 15" rota slipstreams on falken drag radials...traction isnt the issue...its a stock honda clutch but i doubt that is hindering 1 sec in total time...

we think its the engine....WHY do people think THE ENGINE could be running so slow?

reaction time has nothing to do with the overall time. he needs to get better tires. by falken drag radials i assume you mean the azenis? if so, those are not the best drag racing tire due to their stiff sidewall. get some actual drag radials like bfg or nitto's or full out slicks. and whats this about the engine running slow? :thinking:

llxzxll 07-16-2004 08:53 PM

got lsd?

white_n_slow 07-17-2004 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by DavE96GsR

not really.

If you've got enough power to burn through first gear, thats more than enough for a good 60'. Just practice your launch until you can get good traction without bogging or burning out. Also, if your camber isn't zeroed out, the tires (regardless of what kind) wont be able to grip to their full potential. Get an allignment and practice your launches... your problems are all in the 60'.

As for the engine... don't expect any improvements 'till you get it on the dyno... butt-dyno tuning and internet tips aren't gonna get you anywhere.

BTW, stock LS pistons still in there? If so your compression really isn't where its supposed to be to get the most out of those cams

:edit:also, what transmission are you using? That could make a huge difference.

civicsirnos 07-21-2004 10:08 AM

most people change the pistons and at least -- shot peen the rods, using the stock b16 ecu? not getting all you can out of the cams.

DavE96GsR 07-21-2004 12:30 PM

gsr tranny, we have a b16a tranny that were going to try this weekend...

he is gettin good launches...he launches at the point were he is on the verge of burning out but doesnt...

im thinkin it has somthin to do with the sk2 ecu out of a built type-r b16a engine....because i figure it was all dialed in for the b16a which had all t-r components in it which could account for why this setup is running so shitty...

btw: im not thinking that by people posting 'internet tips' that its going to run better, i am only trying to figure out why this engine is running so damn slow....it should obvioulsy be running way quiker...mostly looking for a reason why it could be running so slow...

white_n_slow 07-21-2004 03:19 PM

well an ecu program that isn't suited to your motor is a good place to start. I can guarantee you thats holding it back in some way.

Also perhaps the numbers you're considering to be typical are actually those of better motors (i.e., better pistons than ill-suited LS slugs). Like I said earlier, don't expect anything out of your itr cams until you've increased the compression and gotten a better tune.