Honda-Acura.net

Honda-Acura.net (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/index.php)
-   Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/engine-swaps-tech-and-tuning-33/)
-   -   ls vtec 1/4 q's (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/engine-swaps-tech-and-tuning/145039-ls-vtec-1-4-qs.html)

DavE96GsR 06-27-2004 01:50 AM

ls vtec 1/4 q's

we recentley threw a ls vtec together...

jdm ls block + jdm b16 sir head...
itr cams - will the stock b16a v. springs be ok with these cams?
sk2 cam gears which are tuned correctley
itr intake manifold + throttle body + itr injectors
itr headers
spoon exhaust
intake

with all this stuff it is only running 14.8-15.1's

the timing appears to be find...ran the timing light on it and its good...
to tun the sk2 cam gears we went off of what we learned in the honda tuning books you can buy at your local bookstores...

i was under the impression stock ls-vtec's ran low 14's...

if so what do you think could be wrong ? i would think this setup would be in the 13's?

*only thing we can think of at this point is this car is slammed like 1-2 inches off the ground and the camber up front even with the sk2 camber plates is still off pretty bad...could the axles not being perfetly straight out the the wheels effect times? thinkin we should raise it up so the axles are striaght and the camber is fixed...but i dont see this helping gain a couple secs....

thanks guys n gals

cartuner 06-27-2004 08:32 AM

My LS/VTEC

Stock Ls block
GSR Head
GSR Cams
DC JDM 4-1 Header
Comptech Intake
Custom CAT-Back
Stock GSR ECU

I was able to run a 14.4 in my 95 Hatch CX. You should be faster. But then again I have a friend who has an LS/VTEC with p30 pistons, B16 head, ITR cams, ITR Intake manifold, cam gears, headers, custom exhaust, spec clutch stage 3 and mugen chip in his 88 CRX and he only ran a best of 14.5.

DavE96GsR 06-27-2004 12:32 PM

odd...

we have a sk2 ecu from a previous engine that blew up due to poor building by the people they bought it from...

he has falken drag street radials too so he is getting good starts...

seems like vtec doesnt always stay in since its set around 5500 or so...needa lower that to bout 4400 and hopefully that will help

btw: tell ur buddy to sell his mugen ecu, i hear they are very good compared to other ecu reprograms...dont get me wrong tho i love mugen just not there ecu's....

were also puttin a new vtec syliniod on the engine which is mugen, it should kick real hard into vtec...

Snoopy 06-27-2004 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by DavE96GsR
were also puttin a new vtec syliniod on the engine which is mugen, it should kick real hard into vtec...

wtf? :thinking: :eh:

you should get the car professionally tuned, not using what you learned in a book :rolleyes:

txhatch 06-27-2004 03:45 PM

Note to self; dont read dave96gsr's posts.

DavE96GsR 06-29-2004 03:14 PM

txhatch ur a idiot obviously...i didnt know an LS INTEGRA B SERIES BLOCK was d series u douche....

yes we built a d series for speed ah hell ya...what a dumb a$$...

its an ls block( if u dont kno what that is and u have 2k+ posts your an idiot...:joshers: ) off a 96+ integra...b16a sir head...

why not learn to tune it yourself...

can anyone offer actual help? if u have somthing needless to say dont post please....

Snoopy 06-29-2004 05:41 PM

txhatch ur a idiot obviously...i didnt know an LS INTEGRA B SERIES BLOCK was d series u douche....

where the hell did you get this from? :eh: :slap:

the rest of your post im still trying to decipher :thinking:

txhatch 06-30-2004 04:03 PM

yes we built a d series for speed ah hell ya...what a dumb a$$...

its an ls block( if u dont kno what that is and u have 2k+ posts your an idiot...:joshers: ) off a 96+ integra...b16a sir head...

why not learn to tune it yourself...

can anyone offer actual help? if u have somthing needless to say dont post please....

What the hell are you talking about?

DavE96GsR 07-01-2004 12:59 PM

must just be ur tag line =\ f' honda acura.net nobody seems to know shit...

all im trying to figure out is how we can get faster 1/4 miles times.............

txhatch 07-01-2004 01:57 PM

Post all of your time slip from your fastest run.

RicoD 07-02-2004 10:44 AM

this whole post i have no clue what dave is saying...each post he contradicts himself...and its confusing the shit out of me.

like this post:
tell ur buddy to sell his mugen ecu, i hear they are very good compared to other ecu reprograms...dont get me wrong tho i love mugen just not there ecu's....

Id like to see time slips for this too

PHiZ 07-03-2004 10:07 AM

Did I miss the part where he told us what chassis this motor is in?

I'm guessing full interior DC4 with 15inch subs. :loco:

Also, get some real tuning done to it, I'm sure it will help a bunch.

-PHiZ

DavE96GsR 07-03-2004 11:41 PM

ok sorry =\

about the mugen post what i was saying is that i like mugen parts but i read an article about a mugen ecu vs. a jun ecu and they said the mugen ecu didnt provide any horsepower gains...and the jun ecu provided good hp gains..

the engine is in a 94 civic hatchback (dx?) completey gutted except for ; dash, front door panels, racing seat, passenger prelude seat

we rasied the car up and it runs 14.8's all day long...it sits on tein ha coilovers...

the skunk2 ecu is from a built b16a engine...which had mostly itr components..hence thats where we got the itr parts that are listed above...

what i am wondering IS...why isnt this setup running better times than 14.8's...I WAS under the impression stock ls vtecs run low 14's !? with the mods listed above wouldnt it hit 14 flat or low 13's!??!

the sk2 cam gears are set like this...intake : advanced - exhaust: retarded...i am not sure exactly what we have them set at...but im pretty sure they are set correctley...

yes we could go get the car tuned...but why not learn how to do it all yourself...its not like we know nothing about cars...we know a good bit but are not experts by any means...

any help is appreciated and i am sorry if i dissed anyone, i just misred your post...txhatch sorry i thought your tagline was saying we had a d series motor, heh =\ my bad

i hope this clears things up some...

why do u want to see a 14.8 time slip for a ls vtec ? its not a great time...

thanks

forum95 07-03-2004 11:54 PM

get the car dyno tuned, yes do it. And what elevation are you running the 1/4 in?

PHiZ 07-03-2004 11:57 PM

I mean, even get it on the dyno to get diagnostic information out of it.... So you know what you're working with.

Any CELs?

-PHiZ

DavE96GsR 07-03-2004 11:58 PM

we are low elevation on the west coast...

what all will they do for a dyno tune...?

we want an aem fully programmable ecu...

forum95 07-03-2004 11:59 PM

Do you have a vafc by any chance?

DavE96GsR 07-04-2004 12:03 AM

no not yet...but the driver can keep it in vtec just about every run since he has been practicing...

RicoD 07-04-2004 04:11 PM

keeping it in vtec for a long periods puts a lot of stress on those cams dont it?

and as everyone said, dyno tune it

pirate252 07-04-2004 11:56 PM

You HAVE to get it dyno tuned it you expect to hit the numbers other DYNO TUNED cars are getting...

txhatch 07-05-2004 06:23 PM

Post all the info from the time slip. Especially 60' and trap.

DavE96GsR 07-06-2004 12:51 PM

0.06 reaction time
2.431 60ft
6.458 330ft
9.711 1/8th mile @ 76.00 mph
12.481 @ 1k ft
14.867 1/4 mile @ 93 mph

txhatch 07-08-2004 02:23 PM

There's your problem. Its not the setup, its the driver. Get those 60ft's down to about 2.0 and you see much faster times. Some 15" wheels with some bfg drag radials will really help.

DavE96GsR 07-08-2004 09:17 PM

lol...

ok if the engine was running faster i think the 60ft would be better....

he has a good reaction time and he hardly skids out because he gets a good launch...MAYBE he needs to skid out more at the start but i dont think thats how it works? im newer to drag racing so....

has 15" rota slipstreams on falken drag radials...traction isnt the issue...its a stock honda clutch but i doubt that is hindering 1 sec in total time...

we think its the engine....WHY do people think THE ENGINE could be running so slow?

Snoopy 07-09-2004 01:51 PM

lol...

he has a good reaction time and he hardly skids out because he gets a good launch...MAYBE he needs to skid out more at the start but i dont think thats how it works? im newer to drag racing so....

has 15" rota slipstreams on falken drag radials...traction isnt the issue...its a stock honda clutch but i doubt that is hindering 1 sec in total time...

we think its the engine....WHY do people think THE ENGINE could be running so slow?

reaction time has nothing to do with the overall time. he needs to get better tires. by falken drag radials i assume you mean the azenis? if so, those are not the best drag racing tire due to their stiff sidewall. get some actual drag radials like bfg or nitto's or full out slicks. and whats this about the engine running slow? :thinking:

llxzxll 07-16-2004 08:53 PM

got lsd?

white_n_slow 07-17-2004 12:32 PM

not really.

If you've got enough power to burn through first gear, thats more than enough for a good 60'. Just practice your launch until you can get good traction without bogging or burning out. Also, if your camber isn't zeroed out, the tires (regardless of what kind) wont be able to grip to their full potential. Get an allignment and practice your launches... your problems are all in the 60'.

As for the engine... don't expect any improvements 'till you get it on the dyno... butt-dyno tuning and internet tips aren't gonna get you anywhere.

BTW, stock LS pistons still in there? If so your compression really isn't where its supposed to be to get the most out of those cams

:edit:also, what transmission are you using? That could make a huge difference.

civicsirnos 07-21-2004 10:08 AM

most people change the pistons and at least -- shot peen the rods, using the stock b16 ecu? not getting all you can out of the cams.

DavE96GsR 07-21-2004 12:30 PM

gsr tranny, we have a b16a tranny that were going to try this weekend...

he is gettin good launches...he launches at the point were he is on the verge of burning out but doesnt...

im thinkin it has somthin to do with the sk2 ecu out of a built type-r b16a engine....because i figure it was all dialed in for the b16a which had all t-r components in it which could account for why this setup is running so shitty...

btw: im not thinking that by people posting 'internet tips' that its going to run better, i am only trying to figure out why this engine is running so damn slow....it should obvioulsy be running way quiker...mostly looking for a reason why it could be running so slow...

white_n_slow 07-21-2004 03:19 PM

well an ecu program that isn't suited to your motor is a good place to start. I can guarantee you thats holding it back in some way.

Also perhaps the numbers you're considering to be typical are actually those of better motors (i.e., better pistons than ill-suited LS slugs). Like I said earlier, don't expect anything out of your itr cams until you've increased the compression and gotten a better tune.