Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

B18 swap and clutch problems

Old 05-16-2004, 12:40 PM
KoDamAs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B18 swap and clutch problems

I Just finished a 97 B18B LS motor swap into my 96 dx hatch. And now I have a few minor tweaks I gotta work out. I expected it would'nt go 100% perfect and we are in the middle of sorting all my problems out. Perhaps these are common problems when doing this swap so this might help others.

1. IACV: My first problem I noticed when starting the motor was a CEL and up/down idle. Turns out I was getting a IACV code and obviously my car didnt know how to run smoothly cause of it. I used this fix http://www.ff-squad.com/tech/wiring/wiring.96-98.jpg credit to Katman guy over on honda-tech forums this was an awesome fix. Although today I got another CEL and funny idle again. I havent checked the code on that one yet

2. Motor mounts: I tried to be cheap here using all my DX stock mounts cept the upper tranny mount and rear tortion mount which came with my motor swap I didnt want to spend 400-450$$$ for HA-sport mounts eeek. Yeah, well let me tell you that didnt fly well. I had problems with my motor moving around badly under load. My shifter was bouncing all over and pulling me out of 3rd and 4th gear. I found out about adjusting the lower/front tranny mount and A/C mounts and aslo installed new Prothane Motor Mount inserts on those 2 mounts which cost me about 30 bucks. One thing to note is you get a little more engine vibration in the cab, but its really not that bad. For the Upper mount near the cams (pillow mount?) I had a friend cut the bottom flange off where the holes for the engine studs come in and weld a new plate with a hole pattern to match the new LS studs. Ill try to get pics later, it really works great although I hear that DX mount is just garbage and should be replaced. My motor sits in there great it feels solid, with no motion from my shifter or pulling out of gear.

3. Clutch: My clutch doesnt feel as tight as it used to, but this could be because of difference in pressure plate. I'm using a Type R clutch /disc that I bought from a guy locally for cheap. My problem is sometimes I can't put it into gear or sometimes it gets stuck into gear. If it wont go to gear I can usually pump on the clutch and it will finally go into gear. I did a search on this type of problem and seems I should have done a Master/slave clutch cylinder maintenece (bleed lines etc.) as part of my swap. There is definately something wrong with getting into/out of gear sometimes. So far all i've got a chance to do is inspect the master cylinder from inside the car uptop the clutch pedal. I noticed I can wipe my finger across and come back with black brake fluid. Seems like there is some kind of leak, but doesnt appear to be bad enough that its leaking all over the floor. Later today I'll have a closer look and see what else could be done. I need to get into a shop and bleed this I bet.

Well other than that it's very driveable and super fast. When I get all of my little fixes done Ill take pics and do a few runs on the strip to see what kind of times I pull. I hope this will help someone else, because these seem to be my only problems I ran across after completing everything. Any suggestions on the clutch thing welcome. Im at work right now -_- so I cant do anything about it till tonight.
Old 05-16-2004, 09:46 PM
Bakeoff
wooooo woooooooooo

did you disconnect the old slave cylinder at any time? If so, you just have air in the line. If you used the D series slave cylinder on the B and never disconnected it, it's gotta be caused by the leak you mentioned, or you kinked the line during the swap.

Just to let you know, the less other stuff you mention when asking for help (parts not related to the problem), the better. Reading through a page of "I had this problem but fixed it" just to get to the question you're asking is a pain in the poop shoot.

Anyway, congrats on the swap.
Old 05-17-2004, 10:45 PM
KoDamAs

You're right hehe i was bored that day, working. Sorry felt like telling my story. Probably coulda shorten it up a little. Thanks for your help.
Old 05-27-2004, 04:53 PM
teg92
WHAT OK YEAH!

Originally Posted by KoDamAs
I Just finished a 97 B18B LS motor swap into my 96 dx hatch. And now I have a few minor tweaks I gotta work out. I expected it would'nt go 100% perfect and we are in the middle of sorting all my problems out. Perhaps these are common problems when doing this swap so this might help others.

1. IACV: My first problem I noticed when starting the motor was a CEL and up/down idle. Turns out I was getting a IACV code and obviously my car didnt know how to run smoothly cause of it. I used this fix http://www.ff-squad.com/tech/wiring/wiring.96-98.jpg credit to Katman guy over on honda-tech forums this was an awesome fix. Although today I got another CEL and funny idle again. I havent checked the code on that one yet

2. Motor mounts: I tried to be cheap here using all my DX stock mounts cept the upper tranny mount and rear tortion mount which came with my motor swap I didnt want to spend 400-450$$$ for HA-sport mounts eeek. Yeah, well let me tell you that didnt fly well. I had problems with my motor moving around badly under load. My shifter was bouncing all over and pulling me out of 3rd and 4th gear. I found out about adjusting the lower/front tranny mount and A/C mounts and aslo installed new Prothane Motor Mount inserts on those 2 mounts which cost me about 30 bucks. One thing to note is you get a little more engine vibration in the cab, but its really not that bad. For the Upper mount near the cams (pillow mount?) I had a friend cut the bottom flange off where the holes for the engine studs come in and weld a new plate with a hole pattern to match the new LS studs. Ill try to get pics later, it really works great although I hear that DX mount is just garbage and should be replaced. My motor sits in there great it feels solid, with no motion from my shifter or pulling out of gear.

3. Clutch: My clutch doesnt feel as tight as it used to, but this could be because of difference in pressure plate. I'm using a Type R clutch /disc that I bought from a guy locally for cheap. My problem is sometimes I can't put it into gear or sometimes it gets stuck into gear. If it wont go to gear I can usually pump on the clutch and it will finally go into gear. I did a search on this type of problem and seems I should have done a Master/slave clutch cylinder maintenece (bleed lines etc.) as part of my swap. There is definately something wrong with getting into/out of gear sometimes. So far all i've got a chance to do is inspect the master cylinder from inside the car uptop the clutch pedal. I noticed I can wipe my finger across and come back with black brake fluid. Seems like there is some kind of leak, but doesnt appear to be bad enough that its leaking all over the floor. Later today I'll have a closer look and see what else could be done. I need to get into a shop and bleed this I bet.

Well other than that it's very driveable and super fast. When I get all of my little fixes done Ill take pics and do a few runs on the strip to see what kind of times I pull. I hope this will help someone else, because these seem to be my only problems I ran across after completing everything. Any suggestions on the clutch thing welcome. Im at work right now -_- so I cant do anything about it till tonight.
Did you use the stock DX harness? Im having the same problem with the idle Can You explain to me what you did with the DX wiring harness? I have a 97 Acura Integra LS engine in a 1998 honda civic DX hatchback Please get back to its been 3 weeks and I NEED MY CAR
Old 05-28-2004, 02:41 PM
KoDamAs

This is exactly what I did to fix the problem with my IACV, http://www.ff-squad.com/tech/wiring/wiring.96-98.jpg

Other than that I havent changed anything on my stock DX wire harness. If you have a CEL get it checked again. After doing this fix a day or 2 later I got different CEL and my car was idleing funny. It was something to do with pressure, I dont remember what sensor or the code number it was.

My car is down at the shop to fix some tranny problems i ended up having so I wont have the chance to troubleshoot that till later. I'll post again when i figure out exactly what it was.