Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

Serious Discussion~ K20a in a dc2

Old 04-29-2004, 09:34 AM
Skelly_GSR
RB does men

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Serious Discussion~ K20a in a dc2

hey guys, I havent been into the integra forums too much latley, but im back....

Ok heres the deal. I currently have a 1995 gsr with 62k that im converting back to stock. I just recently picked up a 1998 gsr with everything but the engine. So as soon as I sell my 95 I will have a good amount of money to drop to get an engine.

I plan to take this car with me to school next year, so its going to have to be reliable. But whatever new engine i get, i plan to hop it up somewhat. Just a mild na setup. So I figured about 3k for a gsr engine plus another 1500 for a mild na setup. Which will get me around 200 hp

Or I can go a different route. Swapping the k20a2 off a type s. Now I seen several pictures of a k20 in a dc2 chassis so i know it can be done, and i have a feeling this will be the "new craze" for the dc/ civic owners.

http://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=844044
theres a couple pics for you guys

anyway, ive seen most k20's price range from 3k up to 5k. Plus myself working at a acura dealership fulltime this summer, i may have a connection on one.

you do need alot of misc parts to get it to fit, like
-mounts
-key immobilizer
-misc rad hoses
-ecu harness

The installation would be installed by my mechanical engineer friend, he knows a ton about wiring and such

So what do you guys think?
Old 04-29-2004, 09:41 AM
Anthony
ZOMG Pew Pew Laserbeams

i thought the major problem of this swap was having someone willing to basically flip the contents under the hood to the opposite side? isn't that the costly part of it and why people don't undergo this swap?
Old 05-07-2004, 05:28 PM
honda94vtec
Honda94VTEC

IMO i think it would be silly to put a K20 in a DC2 chassis , if u want a 2.0 L in a DC2 chassis , you can get a b-series engine stroker kit or a cr-v bottom and just save a ton of money and headaches. I've seen a few b-series that were 2.0 liter doing a good 250 horsepower to the wheels and 150 lbs torque ..all NA btw!
Old 05-08-2004, 02:13 AM
Anthony
ZOMG Pew Pew Laserbeams

I think in the future k-series swaps will the standard and honestly I don't see the problem with it. The only issue is costs I see as a burden but once it gets streamlined and easier to do so the costs will decrease. This was the same case when the first b-series swaps started so I do recommend trying this swap if you have the time, money, and expertise.
Old 05-16-2004, 09:37 AM
bambbrose

I think you should go for it. The potential of the K series engines is well above that of the B series, and the parts for them are just gonna keep getting better. Hondata got 254whp with just an intake, header, and ecu tuning ( www.hondata.com/racecar )

The K20 heads are so much better flowing than any B series head. I think that you would be making a wise decision by going the K20 route. I think if you went with a B then you might regret it later on down the road
Old 05-16-2004, 05:17 PM
Andy
Hybrid Forum Moderator

Your basically talking about the new emerging technology vs older more established technology. The B-series engines are still good engines and are very efficent. Standard VTEC is getting long in the tooth and even the GS-R head was design and based on technology was first introduced in 1994 (I have no idea when in Japan) so it's at least 10 years old. The B16A has been around since 88 I think? The K-series engines are much newer, have more advanced versions of the VTEC system along with VTC and more modern engineering and technology went into their design. That said, it's still relatively new and your not going to have the same resources or aftermarket that the B-series engines offer but in the end, you have more potential with the newer engine. Basically, like most things, it comes down to money. A K-series swap is going to be more expensive. The motor is more expensive, the parts are more expensive and the knowledge base isn't as extensive, but if your will to put in the money and the time, it's a worthwhile pursuit.

I don't know squat about K-series engines at this point and I don't know anybody in the forum with swap experience, but hopefully we'll all learn eventually. If you do decide to do the swap, keep up updated on your progress and share your experiences so we can all learn.

'06 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Stock, for now
'98 Civic EX - CTR headlights and grill, Kosei K1's, for sale
'90 240SX - SR20DET that will never get installed, project car.
Old 05-16-2004, 08:39 PM
brian g
Official voice of Hasport

The Integra is perhaps the best chassis to put the K20 or even K24 in. They are designed to handle the weight of the K20 and have a taller hood line than the EG so the taller K24 can be mounted without clearance problems.

The K20A is without a doubt more expensive initially. Here's the kicker though, if you take a B18C and stroke it or bore it to two liters, a lot of the cost difference evaporates. Also once you take the B18C to 2 liters you loose a lot of reliability. With header, cams, K-pro ECU, and intake it's not unheard of to get 240hp. And that's with no great loss of reliability. Then there's the K24 block, a sweet bolt on for massive torque gains. Another point is you cannot buy a reasonable 6 speed transmission for the B-series.

The B-series engines have a lot of performance products available for them, but many companies have embraced Hondas new engine and are quickly working to bring products to market. Just think what it will be like in another year when all the companies have released the new products for these engines.

brian g
Old 06-02-2004, 06:59 AM
PHiZ
BOOST GOD

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=875643

-PHiZ
Old 07-11-2004, 10:55 AM
Nikos

Go for it... Not as complicated as people make it out to be..
Old 07-11-2004, 01:29 PM
Civic2Scooby

go for it....the K series is a much better platform, and as mentioned above responds amazing to bolt ons and a lil Hondata.