Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

Doh First post in need of help

Old 04-27-2004, 08:55 AM
Illuminati

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Doh First post in need of help

Okay i have a 97 dx coupe with a 99 front end, mugen front lip, type R rear lip, si spoiler, leather seats, ex gauge cluster, Integra type R yellow paint perfectly applied and some rota gun metal rims. It used to have a supercharged B16 but currently has the D series motor back in it. Well After smogging it etc me and my friend just decided to play around with the dx motor by running it a little. Everything was fine on the freeway after running it and then about 5 min later i get a serious engine knock in the parking lot. The knock only occurs at 3k rpms or above. If i rev it for s couple of seconds the knock well begin to occcur at idle rpms as well and slowly go away. We checked the valve lash on all the cylinders intake and exhaust ports expecting one of them to be seriously off since it sounds like only one cylinder is knocking. However they all came in the same considering i just tightend them to specs a couple of weeks ago. So i have put the valve cover on and had my dad listen to the sound. He only knows about domestics and said he thought it kind of sounded like a spun cam bearing on a domestic. He pointed to the the sohc cam gear cover and said it sounds like its comming from there, right most top of the motor in the head. So any ideas or thoughts on this motor, even though its a stock dx motor i was planning on just leaving this one in for awhile till smog is done so i dont want to let this motor blow.
Old 04-27-2004, 09:04 AM
westcoaststyle
Still here... sorta...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Knock usually denotes a rod bearing is bad. It could also be that the wrist pin has gone bad since it sounds so high on the motor. The cams don't have bearings, they sit in a set of grooves in the head and held in by caps.

I'd say it's something internal from experience.
Old 04-27-2004, 09:16 AM
Illuminati

dang i need the car for daily driving right now too. Can only guess how much this is going to cost me. I dont mind working on motors but my experience doesnt lie in inline 4's. Ya i'm 99% sure it is internal as well. i see new bills mounting clearly now... hmm but if its a rod bearing or wrist pin shouldnt it knock at all rpms? This is specific to 2900rpms+ anything lower and the motor runs perfect. ohh im also about to go buy a honda code reader for the engine light, you think this will be able to tell me anything?
Old 04-28-2004, 11:32 AM
Illuminati

Well never mind guys, the engine blew on the way to the mechanics. its scrapped. Any ideas on a good cheap replacment?
Old 04-29-2004, 09:33 AM
westcoaststyle
Still here... sorta...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

how did it blow?
Old 04-29-2004, 10:13 AM
Illuminati

it kept shutting off on the way there. I finally pulled it over and all you heard was a constant hard knock and the car had a huge loss of power.
Old 04-29-2004, 10:59 AM
raiden571
turning u inside out

a cheap replacement...hmmm...you could always find another d motor an keep your old tranny and that would be cheap, or you could step up to a d16, if that isnt what was blown in the first place, and prices are just uphill from there.