Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

my engine sounds like its deisel pt 2

Old 01-14-2004, 04:25 PM
theelnino

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my engine sounds like its deisel pt 2

i mentioned a weeek or two ago that my engine was making a tapping noise, sounding similar to deisel engines. in my manual it says that replacing lost oil or adjusting the valve lashings can solve the problem. my oil level was as high as it could go safely. i adjusted the valve lashes a couple of days ago. i did everything according to procedure, except that i couldnt rotate the crankshaft ccw, i had to rotate it cw, but i had all of the markings matched up for TDC. now, the noise is louder, and more even. it sounded more irregular before. but its a constant tapping now. my manual also mentions that it could mean that i have worn out valve train parts, or my timing belt could be improperly tensioned. im almost positive that the timing belt was replaced within the last 20000 miles. my parents owned my car before me and they took it to the shop before i bought it from them. it was at like 103000 miles. my mother and i remembering the mechanic changing the belt anyways bc it would need it soon. my dad thinks it was never changed. it doesnt look worn out or old though. anyways, im pretty much just troubleshooting right now. any advice would be appreciated before i have to get it checked out by a prof.
Old 01-14-2004, 04:52 PM
ManInCamo
Old School Crew

I'll copy it to engine tech also. keep an eye out for it there.
Old 01-14-2004, 04:54 PM
theelnino

thanx man
Old 01-24-2004, 07:22 PM
alphaxxn
4500rpm hesitation

does it do this when the engine is warm? because when my engine is just starting in the morning I can always hear the valves tapping but after then the sound goes away when it gets into normal operating temps...
Old 01-24-2004, 10:10 PM
s1ngle
clutch slipping boost

do you have an aftermarket header?
Old 01-29-2004, 09:34 AM
theelnino

the tapping is always on. I do have an aftermarket header. my brother bought it for his civic, and it didnt fit, bc it was made for my engine. it was ractive
Old 02-25-2004, 04:32 PM
RiGgEdB18B1
B18B1 is the best!

That Tapping Can Be Almost N E Thing.have Someone Check Ur Block For You And Find Out Where The Noise Is Coming From...