Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

dead sol

Old 01-10-2004, 10:06 AM
downtime

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dead sol

I have a 93 del sol s, no mods at all. Been using it for a commuter. I'm sitting in a drive through and the thing just dies. I don't drive it hard or treat it rough by any means.
The only thing obvious is I have no fire. So far I've changed the distributor cap, rotor, and coil. No good. A coworker said check the timing belt. All teeth present and no wear obvious. The previous owner changed it at 90k. I'm now at 148k and thought it would go forever. Maybe its trying to prove me wrong. Any ideas?

Thx
Old 01-10-2004, 08:14 PM
worleybot
part time tech

No Codes? Distributor on those are a weak spot typical honda. Buy a rebuilt distributor or a used one because honda has those down as a non servicable part and about the only thing you can change is the igniter but there are three other sensors in that distributor which you can't buy individually or at least I haven't been able to. You can try though. Best bet is new distributor. Hope this helps.
Old 01-11-2004, 08:19 AM
downtime

I havent tried reading any codes. Is there a way to do so without taking it somewhere?
Old 01-11-2004, 06:49 PM
worleybot
part time tech

There is a two wire connector under the under the dash tucked up under the glove box or in that area. Jump the two connections with a jumper wire and turn on the key the check engine light should flash if there are any codes stored. Long flashes are the first digit and short flashes are the second digit. (For instance 3 long and one short would be a code 31. If there is more than one code stored then it will give them in the order they were set, so your best bet is to make sure to count the flashes more than once to make sure you have an accurate understanding of the problem. If the CEL comes on and doesn't flash that means no code is set and everything is fine or the problem is not related to any codes. Hope this helps any questions get a chiltons manual it usually tells you how to check for codes.
Old 01-15-2004, 09:53 PM
downtime

worleybot, thanks for the help..I wound up replacing the ignitor and viola! running like a champ.
Old 01-16-2004, 08:33 AM
worleybot
part time tech

Glad I could help
Old 01-17-2004, 08:13 AM
Import-Tooner
skoooooie!

It seems like the ignitor is usually the problem when distributors go bad in honda's. Its surprising how much you hear about them going bad. Glad that you could get your up and going again.

SKOOIE!!!