Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

VTEC in all cars?

Old 01-05-2004, 08:04 PM
Technodigifreak
Hot-Modder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by PHiZ
zetec/ecotec neither of them are variable valve timing correct?

BMW has MOTEC.

-PHiZ
thats true about the zetec, but i don't know about the ecotec (GM), i do know their planning a ecotec powerplant for the upcoming pontiac solstice
Old 01-05-2004, 11:05 PM
accordh22

i think the 2005 Mustangs are going to have variable valve timing!
Old 01-06-2004, 12:43 AM
Kestrel
Push to shock!

Default Re: VTEC in all cars?

Originally posted by Fly Rice
my brother who drives an audi claims that the vtec system in the hondas and acuras is nothing special and that about 95% of all cars have this tech. just want to know why the honda VTEC is so special
Once upon a time VTEC was unique in the car industry, but your brother is right, a lot of cars do have some form of variable valve timing, especially luxury cars or more performance oriented sport compacts (Celica, WRX, SVT Focus etc.). A lot of companies don't give variable valve timing a name or market it.

Actually VTEC in the B series engines is less advanced than some of the newer variants of variable valve timing like VVT-i or the SVT Focus's timing. VTEC can only change between two cam profiles, but the newer versions can change timing as well. i-VTEC can change timing as well, but's not nearly as widespread as B series VTEC. Honda just did a really job marketing VTEC in its car, and they do make one heck of an engine, of which VTEC is just one piece.
Old 01-06-2004, 11:54 AM
PHiZ
BOOST GOD

Default Re: Re: VTEC in all cars?

Originally posted by Kestrel
Once upon a time VTEC was unique in the car industry, but your brother is right, a lot of cars do have some form of variable valve timing, especially luxury cars or more performance oriented sport compacts (Celica, WRX, SVT Focus etc.). A lot of companies don't give variable valve timing a name or market it.

Actually VTEC in the B series engines is less advanced than some of the newer variants of variable valve timing like VVT-i or the SVT Focus's timing. VTEC can only change between two cam profiles, but the newer versions can change timing as well. i-VTEC can change timing as well, but's not nearly as widespread as B series VTEC. Honda just did a really job marketing VTEC in its car, and they do make one heck of an engine, of which VTEC is just one piece.
I know the VVTL-I has variable valve lift and variable valve timing. I don't know about infinitely variable timing though.

-PHiZ
Old 01-06-2004, 08:07 PM
habitatsk8r392
Certified Ricer

Originally posted by Technodigifreak
good point BUT, in the newest camry's, avalon's and lexus' use an i-vvt engine

and btw the s2000 creates 120hp/l, that is before the lattest itteration with a 2.2l engine, which has even more horsepower

yea true but it also guzzles gas like a V8 but i am in NO WAY saying that a friggen celica is better than the S2000....though i must say i used to have a 1991 GT-S....which was sweet.

and the new s2000s still have 240 hp
Old 01-06-2004, 11:12 PM
qtiger

zetec/ecotec neither of them are variable valve timing correct?

BMW has MOTEC.

-PHiZ
The new ecotecs have variable valve timing.

BWM has Vanos.

MOTEC makes race electronics.
Old 01-07-2004, 05:19 AM
loodboi
هونده بريلود

Porsche use VTEC as well
Old 01-07-2004, 06:03 AM
JimBlake

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Some telephones have VTECH!
Old 01-07-2004, 08:08 PM
PHiZ
BOOST GOD

Originally posted by qtiger
The new ecotecs have variable valve timing.

BWM has Vanos.

MOTEC makes race electronics.
Whups, I'm familiar with the motec standalones, looks like I transposed in my mind...
-PHiZ
Old 01-09-2004, 07:07 PM
silverstreakin
TRD japan ownerages

Default Re: Re: Re: VTEC in all cars?

I know the VVTL-I has variable valve lift and variable valve timing. I don't know about infinitely variable timing though.

-PHiZ
VVTL-i is a much different system than VTEC. the intake cam on any VVT-i engine can vary the intake camshaft timing -5 to 20 degrees at any engine speed. VVTL-i includes lift which enguages a higher lift cam profile on the intake and exhaust cams. this happes at 6000 rpm. you all know how VTEC works, iVTEC is pretty much the same deal with actually being able to vary the camshaft timing.

FYI, toyota introduced their first VVT-i engine in 91 with the 4A-GE 20 valve engine. the fifth valve actuated at a certian engine speed too. gee whiz