Notices
Do It Yourself This is where you will find step by step instructions so you can Do it Yourself!

How To: Shave Door Handles

Old 09-26-2003, 05:00 PM
kilpatty43
corvette chick at heart

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shaving the doors

has anyone in here shaved their car?? i want to do it, i think i'll be able to do it myself, but i want to be sure. anyone have any advice??
Old 09-26-2003, 05:08 PM
utdavid

well first off do you know how to weld if not then you wont be able to shave them if you do know how to weld let me know ill tell you exactly how to do it :thumbup:
Old 09-26-2003, 11:08 PM
Therin

I can mig weld, and am interested in knowing how to do it.
Old 09-27-2003, 08:30 AM
utdavid

ill break it down real quick for you

first you need to buy some door poppers so that after you get your stuff shaved youll be able to open your doors- AUTOLOC is a good company

second take out your stock door handles and sand or grind surrounding area down to bare metal

then find 14-16 gauge sheet metal and cut it to fit the inside diameter of the hole your handles left

then make 4 spot welds so that the sheet metal is in place then make tack weld all the way around it but take your time doing this if the door gets to hot it will warp then youre screwed

after a while grind down the welds and then do the body work needed to make it to where you cant tell they were there.

fyi if you do this and it f***s up i am not responsible for anything and i dont suggest doing this is you have never done it beforei would say take it to a shop and let professionals do it
Old 09-30-2003, 09:28 AM
all motor 91ef
USDM spec

just use lotsa duct tape and bondo. And rig some wires to the inside door handle so that you could open it.

j/k
Old 10-02-2003, 10:04 PM
integradraggin

Welding is one option but there is another way to do it. Go to your local automotive paint store (Carquest Paintstore) ask for 3m panel adhesive. You will also need to buy a gun to apply it. Total you are looking at spending $60, but its better than taking a chance and warping your doors.

Take out the handles and sand the back of the door with 40 grit paper. Take a piece of sheet metal and cut it a little bigger than the size of the holes. Set the metal flush to back of the door, Have someone hold it and drill about 6 holes in the front of the door going through it and the sheet metal. Use hex screws to hold it in place. Do not tighten them down all the way.
You dont need anything to big but not to small either. Sorry cant remember the exact size i used. After the screws are in apply the adhesive. Use a good bit inbetween the door and the metal. Get it around the screws and everything. The adhesive will ooze out some when you tighten the screws. Tighten the screws down and let it wait for 24 hours.

After 24 hours back the screws out, and sand all the showing hard adhesive on the outter part of the door. Start with 100 then go to 180. After smooth apply your bondo, and sand the same way. Use spot putty for whatever you need, sand, clean, and prime. wetsand your primer with 400 and you are ready to shoot.
Old 10-02-2003, 10:05 PM
integradraggin

www.flying-fish.net/integra
this is how mine came out using the panel adhesive. i molded the front of the kit with it and its extremely strong.