Notices
Do It Yourself This is where you will find step by step instructions so you can Do it Yourself!

Headlights Turning Yellow

Old 08-13-2003, 11:44 AM
ThaJazz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For yellowing plastic lights, use nail polish remover with acetone on a soft cloth/towel. Works wonders. Afterwards, use whatever polish you need. I use it on my 91 Teg and 93 Mercury Tracer lights and you'll see the stuff come off. I dunno what the yellowing is, but it's removable. HTH
Old 08-13-2003, 01:44 PM
98WhtCivicEx
^^That's Me!^^

Originally posted by ThaJazz
For yellowing plastic lights, use nail polish remover with acetone on a soft cloth/towel. Works wonders. Afterwards, use whatever polish you need. I use it on my 91 Teg and 93 Mercury Tracer lights and you'll see the stuff come off. I dunno what the yellowing is, but it's removable. HTH
Just rub the nail polish with acetone on the surface of the plastic lense right? And it should take off the yellow? Its not on the inside? And after I do that...what do you mean use whatever polish I need. I need to polish the lense or... Help me out on that one :-\ Well I found some pictures I took a week or so back before I got my car pinted. On some you can see the yellow and some you can't see to well cause I a in florida and that damn sun makes it hard to take pics without getting a bad glare. Maybe these will give a better idea.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
100_0435 (small).jpg (40.7 KB, 556 views)
Old 08-13-2003, 01:46 PM
98WhtCivicEx
^^That's Me!^^

another..
Attached Images
100_0432 (small).jpg (34.0 KB, 522 views)
Old 08-13-2003, 01:53 PM
98WhtCivicEx
^^That's Me!^^

And the last picture...
Attached Images
100_0433 (small).jpg (31.0 KB, 534 views)
Old 08-15-2003, 01:34 PM
98WhtCivicEx
^^That's Me!^^

Originally posted by ThaJazz
Well...got an update. Thanks a lot fo the suggestion about the nail polish remover. I put it on a cloth and wiped it across the lense and it turns clear. Look at the cloth and it has all this yellow on it. My lense on each side now are clear but if you look close you can see that the film or protective enamel or whatever was over the lense when you buy a new car that protects it was worn off where the yellow was. You can see it shines a little more and is a little more smooth and then you can see where it fades. So i guess weathering and crap wears off the protective layer over the lense then the yellow crap srats to build up. THANKS AGAIN ThaJazz!! That should keep my lights looking better for a while till I get me projectors :naughty: And thanks to everyone else for all their help and suggestions :thumbup: ...peace!!

p.s. What did you mean about polishing the lense afterwards. Not sure what to do about that.
Old 08-16-2003, 12:49 AM
jinx-mitchell
The Comic Guy

3M plastic polish to get the color out, then put anything that has uv protectant after that. 3M makes some of that too, but I forgot what it's called.
Old 08-23-2003, 01:26 AM
Noctvm

I had exactly the same problem on my car. Just get some plastic polish (I hear metal polish will work too) to polish the film off. I have managed to remove most of the film off of my headlights. It does take some time and muscle to get it off though and I wouldn't say it's perfect. Anyway, it's still been a big improvement for my car.
Old 10-06-2003, 07:21 PM
Hour

I found it easier to just use liquid wax (tan bottle mequires) and a rag, and muscle... easier as in I didn't have to make a trip out to get the materials. Worked pretty well - not flawless but looking better than it did before.
Old 10-11-2003, 08:41 AM
h22avid
Sleeper...Creeper...

I here ya man that FL sun is wicked tough. That's probably what caused it to start yellowing in the first place. By where the damage was though, it almost looks like someone could have been buffing the car hood area and overlapped onto the headlight causing it to prematurely wear and start to yellow. I'm pretty sure your headlights are plastic and not sure if it's to good to be buffing it etc. That's just my .02 , I could be completely wrong.

It's good to see an Orlando cat on here though. What kind of mods you got, do you ever go out to Orlando Speed World Dragway?
Old 10-12-2003, 05:00 PM
98WhtCivicEx
^^That's Me!^^

Originally posted by h22avid
I here ya man that FL sun is wicked tough. That's probably what caused it to start yellowing in the first place. By where the damage was though, it almost looks like someone could have been buffing the car hood area and overlapped onto the headlight causing it to prematurely wear and start to yellow. I'm pretty sure your headlights are plastic and not sure if it's to good to be buffing it etc. That's just my .02 , I could be completely wrong.

It's good to see an Orlando cat on here though. What kind of mods you got, do you ever go out to Orlando Speed World Dragway?
Don't have too many mods done to the car yet. I am saving all the little money you would spend on evgine mods and am just gonna tryto get a turbo. Not too sure. I havn't gone down there with my car but went down there with my friend. I will have to let ya know when i am gonna be heading down there to meet up with ya.