Notices
Do It Yourself This is where you will find step by step instructions so you can Do it Yourself!

Clutch is starting to slip...

Old 06-05-2003, 04:39 PM
madmurr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch is starting to slip...

I have a 95 Accord EX 2-dr 5-spd with 157,000 miles. The clutch is engaging closer and closer to the top of the pedal travel and once I actually felt it slip a little. I've been taking it easy trying to get as much life out of it. This car is stock except for a K&N air filter. I'm quite certain that it's not the primary/secondary slave cylinders...they were just replaced approx. 1 year ago. The Honda dealer said he would replace the clutch and resurface the flywheel for about $600-$800 (off the top of his head)...I've messed around under the hood of several different cars, but I've never rebuilt a transmission. I'm willing to try it (and save several hundred dollars at the same time) Should I get a book on it and try to do it myself? If so, what parts would I need? Will a clutch kit have everything I'd need or should I just leave this up to the professionals? Any input and/or questions would be appreciated.

Madmurr
Old 06-06-2003, 10:58 AM
HouseofKolorEX
I get off on WD 40

If you're mechanically inclined.... yes. If you sorta are.... but not really... no. Best thing to do.... grab a buddy that is... get a case of beer and start tearing it apart. I did mine in a day and a half with his help. Took my time... learned a LOT.... and could do it on my own probably now. A chilton manual is a good idea too.
Old 06-06-2003, 01:11 PM
crxb16er

its not exactly an easy job to do, if u dont have a good collection of tools id suggest taking it somewhere else, if u really want to learn about ur car and are willing to take the time and money heres what u would want to do, buy a haynes, helms, or chiltons manual for ur particular car, read away about everything that will be related with the car until u understand all of it, then if u decide u want to do it, ur gonna have to buy a new clutch, 300-400 bucks, buy an engine hoist 150 bucks and a breaker bar to get ur axles off 50 bucks, and have a lot of sockets wrenches etc. u have to remove both axles from the tranny, remove the engine and transmission from the car, and then unbolt the tranny from the engine and wala theres ur clutch right there in front of u, (u can slip the tranny from under the car but i wouldnt suggest it on ur first try) if ur not willing to do all that work 800 dollars for a new clutch and resurfaced flywheel is a great deal where im at, i had my clutch replaced for 1030 dollars with nothing done to the flywheel when i was younger and didnt yet have the knowledge of how to do this myself, to start get a car manual that you will use for the rest of ur cars life, 15-30 bucks and start reading, see what ud be getting urself in to and make ur own judgement call, id do my own clutch in a heartbeat but only because i have the tools required and the know how to do it right.

btw if its just now starting to slip uve probably got a few months left, once it starts to slip when u leave ur car at WOT all the time uve only got a few weeks, just to let u know. u can probably hold out for a little while if need be. i let mine go until my car no longer moved forward nemore. lol
Old 06-06-2003, 07:18 PM
madmurr

Thanks CRX! That is exactly what I needed to know. :goodjob:

Madmurr
Old 06-11-2003, 08:49 AM
SoSoDef24

i did mine in a day with a beer and a couple of pals. i bought an excedy clutch for like 220 and put it in there. I learned lots about the engine bay and my clutch was fine afterward. Try adjusting the clutch cable though too!
Old 07-02-2003, 06:17 PM
DittoDude

Default Clutch

If you decide to do it, make sure you use new Honda parts, not remanufactured.

I did my '87 Maxima SE and had to remove the transmission two extra times because of faulty rebuilt parts from Advance Auto.

Be careful and get some help from someone who has messed with manual transmissions before.

A transmission jack will help to protect the transmission and your hands from injury.
Old 07-09-2003, 09:04 PM
sts2poc1

a luk clutch is only $150 for oem replacement, and the rest is pretty easy, if you got air-tools, forget about the engine hoist.