Notices
Do It Yourself This is where you will find step by step instructions so you can Do it Yourself!

Honda Accord Sedan 01-02: Taking out the orange in the taillights

Old 01-24-2003, 12:28 PM
RaceACCORDingly
You are teh suxorz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Couple of Questions...

1. I have a 2001 accord sedan, and i want to clear out the small piece of amber in my tail lights. anyhow, i know you cant DIY with the 90-2000 tails but can you DIY with the 2001-2002? if so how easy is it to do? ive done a search but nothing pertains to the tails on a 2001

2. can someone post a good set of directions for a 9005 conversion? the ones i8 have seen are rather "un-detailed" and id rather something with pictures and step by step guidelines

thanks everyone for your help
Old 01-24-2003, 12:34 PM
vtecaccord01
Performance isn't $$$

i remember seeing your head lights for clear headlights for sale. Try searching www.yahoo.com or www.debriefing.com I know they are for sale if you want to go that route.
Old 01-24-2003, 12:37 PM
RaceACCORDingly
You are teh suxorz

Originally posted by vtecaccord01
i remember seeing your head lights for clear headlights for sale. Try searching www.yahoo.com or www.debriefing.com I know they are for sale if you want to go that route.
well i actually have Black Housing headlights +now and i want to do my conversion, so the headlight assembly itsself isnt an issue.

unless i mis understood your post, is so, sorry
Old 01-24-2003, 01:45 PM
jschmid

Tailights:
Well, yeah, you can take out that yellow box that surrounds the signal bulb. Two possible ways: Break it up somehow and let the peices fall out the bulb socket hole, (I don't know if I'd recommend that...I've heard of people scraching up the reflector inside) or take them apart and remove it similiar to self-clearing the headlights.

You signals would be brighter without it I would assume.

9005 Conversion:
For me, the easiest is just to carve off the guide tabs inside the bulb connector (on the bulb) and then it will slide right onto the receiving plug of the low beam bulbs. I just use a box-cutter. I've heard you can drill it out with a dremel, etc. If it wasn't a pain to take them to school, I'd drill it out with my dental high-speed handpiece.

Hope that helps.
Old 01-24-2003, 02:12 PM
illusion

2001??

Take the outers off(3 nuts inside the corners of the trunk) take all the bulbs completely out. Stick a pen or something inside the turn bulb socket and push the orange thing loose. Pre-heat your over for 250°F-300°F, put the housing on a cookie pan, put it in the oven and let it sit for 10-15 minutes. Take it out(while wearing oven mits, or bbq mits as I did) Pry the housings open, don't forget to lift up the locking tabs, there's like 8-10 of them around the housing and you have to lift one at a time as you're prying, if it's not coming apart easy it's not hot enough chuck it back in for a few more minutes. When you're prying them open have a butterknife or old screw driver laying around, and use it to break the white glue, if you don't the glue will eventually break itself and you risk little hairs of the glue falling in the housing. Pry them open just far enough for the orange thing to fall out. squeeze them back together, put them in the oven for a few minutes to soften the glue some more, take them back out and squeeze them together really tight, and you're all set.

Took me about 45 minutes to do both including taking them out of the car. A hint to make things go faster when you take the first out to work on it, put the second one in so it'll be ready shortly after you finish the first. I've done three sets of these now, sadly enough mine were the guinea pigs so I have a crack in one of mine because I didn't let it heat up well enough.

here's a good 9005 conversion site http://www.bmwe34.net/E34main/Upgrade/More_light.htm you need to take the two guide rails out of the inside of the connector, then shave the top locking notch a hair. A dremel and a few minutes and you're done.
Old 01-24-2003, 06:24 PM
RaceACCORDingly
You are teh suxorz

so elt me get this straight..

when you take put the tail lights, they will be one entire piece right? the white and the red will stay together?

then when its heated to damage is done to the plactic of the light? only the glue melts?

so when you take hem out there is like a back platic cover over it all? and this cover is what you are trying to melt off right?

if you had pictures that would be great too

thanks for the replies guys.
Old 01-24-2003, 07:27 PM
illusion

White and red are one piece, it's 3 8mm nuts and it comes out. I left one in the oven for 45 minutes just to see if anything went wrong and it was fine, only the glue gets soft. It's a nasty glue. You're trying to open them so the orange plastic thing can come out, there's a bead of this white glue crap around the whole inside perimeter of the light, you have to get that melted so you can pry the light open, and make the reflector come out after you've already loosened it with a pen or something,

this is the reflector, notice on the right side there's two little tabs, you need to pop those out so it rattles around, that's why you poke a pen in the hole where the turn bulb was.

I had an extra tail housing, so Here's the actual housing, there's three screws that will have nuts on them that you get to from the trunk(marked with green), you can see the orange reflector through the hole, and it's two tabs that you need to get loose with a pen or whatever, then in yellow I marked two of the tabs(there's like 2 on top and three on the bottom) that have to be lifted so you can pry the housing open, you need two big flat tips scewdrivers, you start prying the housing, then lift the first tab, get the housing open some more then the second tab, so on and so fourth. This isn't the easiest thing to do, and procede at your own risk, like I said I cracked my first attempt, it's only a little 1/4" crack but it wasn't easy.

here's a link to the full pic http://home.pacbell.net/peter_s/tailassybig.jpg it's 400k

here's a sized down one
Old 01-24-2003, 08:04 PM
jschmid

Originally posted by illusion
here's a sized down one
You write like SH*T! Haha...no really, that is a very detailed reply. Much better than mine. Nice work. :thumbup:
Old 01-24-2003, 08:55 PM
illusion

Originally posted by jschmid
You write like SH*T! Haha...no really, that is a very detailed reply. Much better than mine. Nice work. :thumbup:
writing with a mouse!!!! after 2 guiness and a top shelf margarita even! sooo....