Notices
Do It Yourself This is where you will find step by step instructions so you can Do it Yourself!

honda n600 motor swap

Old 10-31-2005, 02:39 PM
rv189/

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default honda n600 motor swap

I have a 1971 honda n600. i bought with the engine blown. does anyone know anybody who has done a successful motor swap? it doesnt have to be anything extreme as i want to retain the original front engine fwd location. also, what do you guys think of swapping it with a bike engine???any and all help be appreciated. thank you.
Old 10-31-2005, 04:38 PM
AcuraFanatic

Man, that'd be a bitch. :nervous: A D16 might fit in there with custom mounts, wiring would be a bastard. h:
Old 10-31-2005, 08:57 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Short of finding another 600 engine for it, there isn't anything you can do without major fabrication.

And no, the 600's engine is nothing like Honda 600cc bike engines of the time.
Old 09-16-2010, 06:05 PM
eg6lover

I remember reading once online or on a mag that the CRX DOHC ZC engine could be used. Customizing and mods would be require but that would be the ideal motor for the N600.
Old 10-03-2010, 08:24 PM
Redline96LX

This may help.

That engine in the CRX is the 88-91 CRX. It is a D-series engine. That means you can go from say 1988 to 2000 for a D15 or D16 engine (1.5L or 1.6L though the blocks are all the same to mount.) You can go with something like the D16Y8, thats 127Hp and from the 96-00 Civic, so its OBD-II, easier to diagnose maybe, and has the most power of any single cam civic engine in the US. Its an all aluminum block and head and transmission case (the whole tranny without the starter is only 65lbs and its a 5 speed.) There exist 4 speed transmissions that you can fit to it, may be easier for ya. As for other transmissions, Those from an 88-91 CRX are cable clutch opposed to hydraulic clutch, so this may also be easier for you to convert, since you change the cable fitting, instead of attach a clutch master cylinder to the pedal.

D-series use shift linkage...rods to the tranny that go to the shifter inside the car through a small hole.

The F-series Honda engines range from like 2.0L to 2.3L from Accords. Those use cables for the shifting, but these are bigger and may be more of a space issue in the engine bay.

So with some welding, I'm thinking a D-series engine from the late 90s, and the transmission from the 88-91 Chassis would be easier (all D series mount the same and all their transmissions are interchangable.)
Old 12-26-2010, 11:09 PM
jfbrink

Hey, RV189,

I've been researching a good swap for my N600 and there very nearly is none. The engine compartment is extremely narrow (side-to-side) and shallow (front-to-back), but it is relatively tall (top-to-bottom). Here are the only four options that I have found to be feasible:

1. Another N600 engine. No, really. But, modified with EFI and light boost from a tiny turbo off a motorcycle.
2. A Suzuki G10 3-cylinder engine and manual transaxle from a Geo Metro/Suzuki Swift. These are great engines, with lots of aftermarket support. The resultant drivetrain actually fits in the N600 engine bay, and it is not much heavier than stock. No other modern car engine (i.e. 4-cylinder) will fit.
3. Electric motor(s). Several people have mounted an electric motor atop the N600 transaxle via a chain or belt. I have done some math and some parts spec-ing, and I think it would be better to use multiple (2 or four) 6-10KW "hub" motors, mounted inboard and driving the wheels directly. This would free the engine bay to hold Li-ion batteries for decent range & allow the passenger/cargo space to be battery-free.
4. A motorcycle engine. A delightful idea, but dead last on account of difficulty and/or expense -- especially if you want a reverse gear. And, I'm not convinced that swapping a buzzy, high reving engine for an even buzzier, higher-reving engine is all that nice, even if (and there is some "if" here) you get more power out of it.

Personally, my first step in the New Year will be to get my stock engine running, then I will get serious about one of these four options.

Jesse.
Old 11-15-2011, 05:11 AM
KidFrost

I really hate to dredge up a VERY OLD thread however, I figure its prolly better than not searching and making a new one...

I recently aquired 2- 1970 Honda N600, one is pretty clean the other will be a parts car.. I have been looking for "build threads" or swap options. I have found very little in the way of any info.. The closest I have come is a very recent build of a mid engine, RWD, Turbo'd D16.. A bit extreme for my taste but, ANY swap into one of these is going to require a welder and some custom fab work.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/for...r/33452/page1/

I would really like to figure a way to mount a D16Z6 into the front and keep it OEM'ish..

So I guess the hunt is still on for some info on a build thread of a FWD swapped N600. It would be nice to see how someone else tackled the idea...

Maybe I will have to make one of my own.

Last edited by KidFrost; 11-15-2011 at 05:14 AM.