Notices
Do It Yourself This is where you will find step by step instructions so you can Do it Yourself!

CV Boot 96 civic

Old 06-17-2005, 05:43 PM
AraiPnai

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CV Boot 96 civic

Anyone know how to replace this? I'd rather do it myself than to take it to a shop and pay them unnecessary $$ for the labor that I'm sure is doable with the proper tools n such (unless i absolutely positively, stuck in a corner have-to).. Thanks all!
Old 06-17-2005, 10:12 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

I would just recommend going to your local autoparts store and picking up a whole new axle. You are going to have to remove it anyway and the difference in cost is negligible.

Search for Jafro's 15 min DIY axle replacement thread and it will show you the proper procedures and tools required for the job.
Old 06-18-2005, 12:49 PM
AraiPnai

why replace an entire axle when it's the cv boot that needs replacing?
Old 06-18-2005, 02:38 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Originally Posted by AraiPnai
why replace an entire axle when it's the cv boot that needs replacing?
Like I said, you are going to have to remove the axle either way and it is easier to just throw a new one in instead of putting a new boot on. Yeah, it is cheaper to install a new boot, but personally, I would rather just change the axle out with a new one with fresh boots and CV joints.
Old 06-20-2005, 03:24 PM
AraiPnai

okie dokie day..

*frustration sweat-drop on forehead* aiyeee.. >.< such a pain to do it tho...

THANKS THO!
Old 06-20-2005, 03:51 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Originally Posted by AraiPnai
okie dokie day..

*frustration sweat-drop on forehead* aiyeee.. >.< such a pain to do it tho...

THANKS THO!
The only pain is going to be on your wallet. The axle needs to come out either way, so you can put a new boot on or just replace the axle with a fresh one.
Old 06-30-2005, 09:06 PM
foot

A NEW axle will be new. A REMANUFACTURED axle will only be as good as the person who rebuilt it. And, if you are lucky that guy may have actually replaced the bearings in the joint!

I'd get the boots. It's not THAT hard to replace the boots but the learning process can suck if you haven't done one before and dont have anyone that can help you. There are really only two things to keep in mind when replacing teh boots; Make sure you use the appropriate grease for the appropriate type of joint ( the inner joint is a different deisgn from the outer and requires a different type of grease, should be supplied just make sure you put the right grease in the right joint ), and make sure you dont damage the clip when reinstalling the outer joint.

A little trick to getting the outer joint on over the clip is to take a section of the old boot clamp, wrap it around the clip, secure it tightly with a zip tie to compress the clip and carefully whack the joint back on.

There are two ways of looking at it, buy a new axle and save yourself the time and effort of replacing the boots...

Or, save money by replacing the boots yourself but sacrafice some hair that might turn grey from frustration, getting Extremely greasy hands, arms, clothes, face, hair, everything else and alot of time.