Notices
Do It Yourself This is where you will find step by step instructions so you can Do it Yourself!

How bad did your first DIY project go...

Old 08-12-2005, 05:43 AM
Special K

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My most recent f***up....

I was painting my sideskirts and license plate frame stock colour (I got bored...)
Had the plate all primed and ready to be painted. Got my spray paint and gun attachment all ready to go, flip open the cover on the gun and spray the first light coat. Everything goes fine. I do the second coat, but didn't check the cover. The cover had slipped down slightly and I didn't notice. When I began spraying, some of the spray was hitting the cover. Needless to say it began to drip straight into the paint stream and shot drips all over my piece. I had to wetsand and reprime. It also happened on the last coat of my skirts, but not as bad. I just gently wetsanded the drips (5) and did one coat after and it looked fine.... just a pain in the ass though.
Old 08-12-2005, 08:05 PM
wedley2
bboy Wesley West

i just did my clutch right now by MYSELF. so much work to do and it probably took about 30 hours and would've been less if i known that the tranny i got would fit my car but doesnt so i had to use the originall tranny.

i have a little bit to do 2morrow like finishing hooking up the intake, battery, battery tray and speed sensor.
some tips for ppl that'll do their own clutch
-invest in a motorcycle/ATV jack or if you have the dough...get a floor tranny lift. because there is no way you can line the tranny up by physically forcing it up there yourself unless you have 3 guys with tons of stamina. by myseld, it took a couple hours with the jack. BTW the jack was only 50 bucks
-jacking the car up really high is not nessesary, maybe 16 inches will be fine. you can pull the tranny out the passenger's side wheel well
-the flywheel bolts were the hardest for me to remove
-for the cb7, taking off the downpipe and axle nuts is not required
-take breaks! i worked 8 hours today w/o taking a brake nor eating so im extremely fatigue
-air tool s are helpful but i didnt need them so yay.
-double check everything! because my clutch kit came with a pilot bearing but i couldnt find where to put it so i didnt put it on h:

thats about it.
Old 08-19-2005, 02:05 AM
tabio martinez
speedy

i have a question does anybody know if acura makes time belt chains for integra like they do for the rsx type s?
Old 08-19-2005, 02:44 AM
hoyoung02
HEAT:Shift_TechkaV

mine was simple, Debadging
Old 09-19-2005, 02:13 PM
JesterMasque
ETERNAL GRINNING ^

Wow... My first DIY was clearing the corners to my '02 coupe. The real pain wasn't taking off my front bumper, but it was prying through the OEM tar that seals them. Not only that, but I scratched the shit outta my lenses (outside)... I was really dissappointed. But I'm gettin projection so it's not so bad.
Old 10-29-2005, 06:43 PM
M@rshy
٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶

My first real project was putting on a huge ricey spoiler. It went find but the place sent us 6 screws instead of 8. Oh...The spoiler and 4 door trunk is for sale is anyone wants it!

My second real project was painting my roof. I did it as a project for school. It could have turned out better but it went well. I did lots and lots of research on it and bought a spray gun. Pictures should be in my sig. Soon I'll be painted my trunk.
Old 11-08-2005, 02:59 PM
Phateless
S2K compatible

1st real DIY (for a car that is) i was about 18, and i had to replace the alternator in my 83 celica. nothing went horribly wrong, it was just a pain in the ass and took most of the day. i pulled the old one, put it in my backpack, rode my bicycle to napa where i got a new one, rode home, installed it, and went mtn biking that same day! next was the water pump on the celica. that one took forever! next was the timing belt on my 88 jetta...then the pedal mounting bracket (shudder). i also have plenty of random DIYs, headunit install, etc. and now i'm here. yay.
Old 11-10-2005, 11:17 AM
Accord01Manual

My first DIY was changing oil on my beat up Volkswagen Golf (this was back in 1996 when there was no internet to find exact specs of cars). I had to return to the auto store three times to get the right socket to fit into the oil plug. After successfully removing the plug, draining the oil and refilling the engine, I did not know what to do with the used oil. So, I did what every rational person would do: poured it into the toilet and flushed it. This did not go very well. The oil stained the bowl, and had to use Ajax to brush it off. I was so fearful the house owner would find out, and kick me out (I was renting a one bedroom apartment in a multi-family house). The trips to the store, changing the oil, and cleaning the toiler bowl took around three hours. Then, I drove the car to test drive it. I got on the expressway, and it started to pour. The road became flooded, and all the cars were stuck on the highway. I had to wait to three more hours for the flood water to subside before the highway patrols allowed people to drive. By the time I got home, it was 10:30pm.

Lessons: 1. Don't pour used oil into the toilet bowl.
2. Find out the exact size of socket plug before you buy it.
3. Stay away most flood roads when it was about to rain.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:11 PM
sohc_vtec_boy

ive done ehaps of DIY, but my last one must bt he worst, ive resparayed the interior of ym car gloss black, and it was all gud looks mint only one small problem... its soo motha farkin sticky!!! how to i resolve this??????
Old 11-14-2005, 04:12 PM
sohc_vtec_boy

Default help!!!

ive done ehaps of DIY, but my last one must bt he worst, ive resparayed the interior of ym car gloss black, and it was all gud looks mint only one small problem... its soo motha farkin sticky!!! how to i resolve this??????

Warn: (0%)