Notices
Do It Yourself This is where you will find step by step instructions so you can Do it Yourself!

Alternator and coolant check

Old 02-17-2005, 04:05 AM
JimBlake

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I don't know the total coolant volume for that car. Got an owner's manual? It's in there. Probably less than 2 gallons.

When you drain the coolant, it never ALL comes out. Even with the block drain plug... If you make up a 50/50 mix & add that, you end up too weak because of the water that's left in the system when you drain it.

So I do a little math(!) & figure out what's 1/2 of the total coolant volume. After draining/rinsing/draining however many time I want, now what's left in there is just distilled water. I add the anti-freeze, whatever is 1/2 the total volume. Then I add more distilled water & bleed the air out. When I fill the reservoir, I just eyeball a 50/50 mix. After driving a few times that stuff will all become well-mixed.

Try your best to get all the air out of the reservoir & fill to the very top. Then fill the reservoir between min & max. If you leave any air in the radiator, you have to hope it works its way out thru the reservoir.
Old 02-17-2005, 05:19 AM
JL95AccorD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When you do the flush you don't have to remove the thermo. What I do, is that with the engine cold, remove the top hose from the radiator, and aim it downward into a bucket (It's illegal to dispose of coolant on the ground I think) and then start the car, and feed a hose right into the radiator once the car hits temp and opens the thermostat. It'll keep keep water running through the system. (use a radiator flush solution sold in stores. You drain radiator, fill with solution and water, let car run for about 10 minutes warm) then at that point just do the flush with a hose. When you see that the water comming out of the hose is comming out clean fresh water, turn off car, turn off hose, drain radiator, connect hose, and fill with the coolant. There's still water in the system. I don't know how much it will take, but if you need more, then add water to top off. put 50/50 in the resevoir.

PS. Don't forget to open bleed when doing final fill, have your heater on high when the car is running, and to check your levels after the frist drive.
Old 02-17-2005, 05:20 AM
JL95AccorD

I just read what I wrote, and it sounds like too many hoses. I'm also talking about using your garden hose, not only the radiator hose.
Old 02-20-2005, 09:14 AM
civicburner

Originally Posted by JL95AccorD
I just read what I wrote, and it sounds like too many hoses. I'm also talking about using your garden hose, not only the radiator hose.
Well I just finished flushing and filling. I wasn't quite sure where the bleeder screw was so I burped the system instead. When you squeeze the upper radiator hose are you supposed to just continuously hold it, or are you supposed to squeeze and let go, squeeze and let go, and on and on and on? Another thing the radiator only took in 2 quarts of coolant. I had mixed about 70/30 antfrizeeze/water. In a 2 quart bottle, which means the other 2 quarts that must have been in system already was just plain water. Should I drain a little of it out and just put antifreeze in there to get more of a 50/50 mix or do you think I'm ok?