Notices
Do It Yourself This is where you will find step by step instructions so you can Do it Yourself!

HELP question with brakes

Old 10-05-2004, 01:21 PM
FlipVJD
Civic EXer Dude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP question with brakes

I was changing the brakes on my 97 Civic EX and I cant get off the screws that hold on the rotor. I bought and impact screwdriver and when i tried that I broke one screw and stripped the other on one rotor. I was wondering if these are really necessary, could I just drill off the head and not use screws to secure the disc?
Old 10-05-2004, 01:49 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

I would recommend using a die grinder to cut a slit for a screwdriver to fit in. Drill through only if that is your last resort.
Old 10-05-2004, 04:26 PM
the1bolton

I had the same problem, and I just drilled them out. just make sure not to drill into the hub assemblies or anything like that, it would decrease the structural integrity of the screw joins significantly (it would force the screws to hold the hub out over a distance allowing much more tortion on the screws). So... just be careful when you drill/if you drill. (a good idea if you have one rotor off is to see if your drill bit will go into the rotor when the top of the screw comes off like a rink on the drill bit, thats a really easy signal to stop). I found as soon as I drilled them I could take out the rest of the screw with my fingers, so hopefilly that won't be a problem for you either.
Old 10-06-2004, 07:28 PM
Hondaman
Black Pearl

I doubt that you need the bolts in there. I know that GM/Ford has the same design and they don't use the bolts to hold the rotors on. I would think the lug nuts would be stronger then the little bolts anyway.
Old 10-08-2004, 04:30 PM
luky1380

just dril them out