Notices
Do It Yourself This is where you will find step by step instructions so you can Do it Yourself!

axle boot

Old 10-20-2003, 01:01 AM
Team_CaCa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default axle boot

sup...well i tore my axle boot...i own a 94 integra...and i want to do the repair myslef....
can someone help tell me how to repair it...an wut will i need to do this...thanx
Old 10-20-2003, 04:09 AM
h22avid
Sleeper...Creeper...

You probably don't want to do this yourself. It's not that it's hard but you need the right tools and a reboot kit. The boots have a metal band that holds them on and needs a special tool to krimp/compress the metal band. You would need to pack the boot with grease too.

The reboot kits cost like $60 I think. I've got a boot leaking on my passenger side and was going to have a buddy at the Honda Dealership fix it but since the kit cost $60 I didn't think it was worth it. You can get a new or rebuilt axle for not much more. I'm holding out for some custom axles since the joint isn't clicking yet.
Old 11-14-2003, 07:32 PM
YeaItsAFourDoor
..::-Free your mind-::..

You gotta check inside the boot to make sure the grease isn't contaminated... If it is you might have to replace the whole axle...

Axles are cheap so you're better off doing that...

I dont have pics but this is how to replace a CV joint boot to the best of my knowledge...

Starting off with the hub nut already unscrewed

1) Loosen the brake line holding clamp from the suspension

2) The ball joint must be separated from the steering knuckle assembly, to do this first remove the ball joint retaining bolt...pry down on the control arm uuntil the ball joint is free...

3) The inboard joint can be pulled free from the transaxle...

4) Seperate the axle shaft from the hub..this usually needs a special tool..but basically your just trying to get the axle removed from the car..

5) Mount the axle somewhere you can work on the joint without damaging anything, like on a soft jawed vice...

6) Remove the boot by cutting/taking off the boot clamps

7) Make sure to mark on the axle the boots position before taking the boot off.

8) After removing the boot, take off the circlip and take the joint off the shaft and then the old boot off the shaft..

9) Before installing the new boot, make sure to clean the axle, then place the new boot in the proper location (where you marked) and install a new clamp..

10) using a new circlip put the joint back on the shaft and pack joint grease into the joint and boot..BE SURE TO USE ALL THE GREASE!!!

11) ppull the rest of the new boot over the joint and into proper position and lift the edge of the boot opening up with a flat head to equal out the air pressure.....

12) now just install the new large boot clamp and put the axle back in the car...

Sorry about not having pictures...I hope I could have been of some help...
Old 11-21-2003, 08:28 PM
bensk8erm30

60 bucks????? i paid like 20 bucks for mine.
Old 11-23-2003, 01:05 AM
zeroseven

I have the same prob with my civic. Going to just pick up new axles tommorrow.
Old 11-23-2003, 09:06 PM
firebane

I took off my axles from swapping my engine and noticed both of my axle boots on the outside are torn in two. I went to a automotive shop and got new boots, clamps, and grease for each boot in a box and it only cost me $30. The guy there said you don't need any special tools just a side cutter and a pair of pliers. Since the one strap you just pull until its tight then cut off the excess and the other you just squeeze shut with a pair of pliers.