Notices
Detailing Forum Advice on detailing from the experts.

Fresh paint...what next?

Old 11-03-2008, 07:46 AM
Line7
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fresh paint...what next?

So, I just painted my wheels using duplicolor graphite (spray cans). I used about two 12oz. cans of clear coat between the four wheels (1/2 can per wheel.) Since its a pretty dark color, I really want my wheels to Shine! I did a little sample of, on 3 sections:

1. 2000 grit wetsand.
2. wetsand and compound.
3. Just compound.

I thoroughly washed the three sections after said procedure.

I would think that using a polisher/buffer would be the best choice, also considering that I own one, but the wheel wont fit into all the crevices of the rim.

Anyways, I've noticed that with doing that the surface obviously got smoother, however, the more smooth it got, the more dull it became.

Obviously Im a novice at painting and detailing, so please point me in the right direction. As it stands, Im about to just leave it the way it is.

A SIDE NOTE: The sample area where I tried these things had about 3 heavy coats of clear coat, made to replicate about a half dozen thin coats on the actual wheels. Am I using enough clear?

What am doing wrong?

Thanks for the help guys.

Last edited by Line7; 11-03-2008 at 07:49 AM.
Old 11-03-2008, 05:22 PM
AcuraFanatic

Originally Posted by Line7
So, I just painted my wheels using duplicolor graphite (spray cans). I used about two 12oz. cans of clear coat between the four wheels (1/2 can per wheel.) Since its a pretty dark color, I really want my wheels to Shine! I did a little sample of, on 3 sections:

1. 2000 grit wetsand.
2. wetsand and compound.
3. Just compound.

I thoroughly washed the three sections after said procedure.

I would think that using a polisher/buffer would be the best choice, also considering that I own one, but the wheel wont fit into all the crevices of the rim.

Anyways, I've noticed that with doing that the surface obviously got smoother, however, the more smooth it got, the more dull it became.

Obviously Im a novice at painting and detailing, so please point me in the right direction. As it stands, Im about to just leave it the way it is.

A SIDE NOTE: The sample area where I tried these things had about 3 heavy coats of clear coat, made to replicate about a half dozen thin coats on the actual wheels. Am I using enough clear?

What am doing wrong?

Thanks for the help guys.
Sounds like you have a cutting compound making it "smooth" but not a finishing compound to make it shine.

For the crevices, I'd recommend an air compressor powered mini buffer.
Old 11-03-2008, 06:07 PM
Line7
Platinum Member

Thanks for the reply. I tryed it both with a 3M and TutleWax rubbing compounds i had laying around. However it doesnt really say anything on the bottles to distingiush them. :thinking: It just says to remove swirl marks and scrathes. Maybe I should try a polish instead.

I'll go to the store and see what else they've got. Thanks for the help.

Last edited by Line7; 11-03-2008 at 06:09 PM.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:55 PM
AcuraFanatic

Take a picture.
Old 11-04-2008, 08:22 AM
Line7
Platinum Member

A friend of mine told me that waxing them after compound will bring the shine back. I'll try that and post pics up in a few days when I get a digicam.