Notices
Detailing Forum Advice on detailing from the experts.

Kerosene?

Old 11-15-2006, 07:08 AM
fjm1
G35

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kerosene?

My grandpa swears by using kerosene to wash his Caddy. He uses normal car wash liquid and then puts in about 2 cups of kerosene.

I gotta admit, it does a great job of taking off tar and sap. It also leaves a nice shine. He never waxes. He lives in PA with lots of salt/rust issues but his Caddies always look great. He keeps them for 10 years, on average. The last one looked awesome for being as old as it was. He got a new one a couple of years ago and the first thing he does is give it a kerosene bath.

Does Gradpa have one of those really good ideas that got lost, or is he off his rocker?
Old 11-15-2006, 11:40 AM
Misa
Pic Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ib spark
Old 11-17-2006, 07:35 AM
Paddy

Originally Posted by fjm1
My grandpa swears by using kerosene to wash his Caddy. He uses normal car wash liquid and then puts in about 2 cups of kerosene.

I gotta admit, it does a great job of taking off tar and sap. It also leaves a nice shine. He never waxes. He lives in PA with lots of salt/rust issues but his Caddies always look great. He keeps them for 10 years, on average. The last one looked awesome for being as old as it was. He got a new one a couple of years ago and the first thing he does is give it a kerosene bath.

Does Gradpa have one of those really good ideas that got lost, or is he off his rocker?
id say its probably a good idea i use petrol or "gas" if i need to get stuff off my car and it does a good job i dont see why kerosene wouldnt
Old 11-18-2006, 07:21 AM
totalimmortal
MalleusMaleficarum

I'd be a bit hesitant to try this...
Old 11-19-2006, 12:09 PM
ADRONICUS
www.ufc.com

Your grandpa is not off his rocker. This is one of the oldest tricks in the book. Much like using newspaper instead of papertowles when cleaning your windows.
Old 11-28-2007, 02:08 PM
Line7
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by ADRONICUS
...like using newspaper instead of papertowles when cleaning your windows.
...or your ass. :naughty: