Notices

i pulled my head and this is what it looks like...help

Old 09-28-2003, 05:20 PM
menappi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i pulled my head and this is what it looks like...help

ok so my rex wont start (d16a6). it cranks and all but it wont get going. i checked timing, spark, fuel, etc. so i decided to pull my head. it wasnt starting so it wouldnt hurt. LOL and i have never really done any engine work at all, but i took pictures of what it looked like. can anyone tell me if this looks weird or...normal? two of the valves look sorta weird too, like there stuck open maybe?

http://www.angelfire.com/blog/..._.jpg

Old 09-28-2003, 05:54 PM
AwwsChwA

pictures don't work. Try posting them here on the site.

Can you describe what things look like? Here is a list of things that are perfectly normal to see inside a properly maintained engine:

1) light carbon spotting on piston faces and valve faces

2) SMALL scores and scratches too small to feel with your finger running up and down in the cylinders. If you can catch your finger nail in them or feel them with your fingertip, they're probably causing problems.

3) A black ring around the very top edge of the cylinders.

4) A small "ridge" of raised metal along the top of the cylinders. It doesn't always happen (didn't in my engine), but you can feel for it if you run your finger along the top of the cylinder walls where you see the black ring. The ridge won't hurt anything, but make sure you ream it off if you plan on removing the pistons.
Old 09-28-2003, 09:06 PM
menappi

Default ok better pics

hope those work!
Old 09-29-2003, 06:29 AM
jaje
HC Racer H5

looks like the far right cylinder has a lot of oil in there (most likely from a bad headgasket and some got in there when you removed the head

as for valves you think are stuck open...turn the camshaft to see if they close
Old 09-29-2003, 01:39 PM
malfuncion
Z20 H8R

all i have to say bout that is ewww... and erm dont rebuild that SOHC, buy a b series...heh.
Old 09-29-2003, 04:13 PM
AwwsChwA

Agreed. Honestly, unless you race with an organization that requires your car to stay stock to fit in certain brackets (SCCA Solo I/Solo II, Honda Challenge, stuff like that), get yourself a swap and you'll be much happier with the power. If you really need to stay on a budget, a DOHC ZC will bolt up to all your existing driveline and engine mounts. Just get the engine and ECU and you're set.

As for those pics, it looks like you're running extremely rich and you're burning oil. That definitely explains the hard starting, your spark plugs (and everything else) are coated in carbon. Decide what you wanna do with your engine (fix it, swap it, mini-me, etc), and then we'll figure out the best way to solve your problem.
Old 09-29-2003, 07:18 PM
Spec R

yeah, thats way too much carbon buildup ...
Old 09-29-2003, 07:21 PM
KAUAI KANE
91' Toyota Supra

Location: Iwakuni, Japan. And where ever the Marine Corps sends me

R.I.P. TIME to get another motor
Old 09-29-2003, 08:36 PM
menappi

Default hrm

alrite, well i dont have much to spend. my dad was thinking abotu rebuilding it, or having it rebuilt, but i called around and i got estimates from like 1300 to 2300!! HEYAL no, not for that much. but i also thought about a zc, but im not sure abotu getting another used motor, what if it craps out on me? and where can i get one? how much? i dunno ne sites to look for motors. id prefer a dohc zc, or just something that bolts right up. and do any of you guys know any sites that have specific how to to install it. ive never put an engine in, but i think i can do it with a little guidance. any info would help me out.

i was thinking bout mini me...but i think i would end up spending more on the ecu n head n manifolds n all that shit, then teh zc and i dont hafta worry bout vtec. anyways what do u guys think?
Old 09-30-2003, 05:50 AM
jaje
HC Racer H5

you can shop around and buy another longblock si engine...its not that bad...basically find the shops in your area that do engine swaps (you'll have to ask around and visit regional specific forums)...you can pick up a used d16a6 longblock for $200 that is probably still in good running condition or even a d16z6 (sohc vtec) and do some wiring and enjoy a little more power...all these bolt right in and right up to your tranny that is still good

you can always import an engine (do a web search and find some sites and post here or in the hybrid forum for reputation)...they usually come tested (compression and leakdown) and have a startup guarantee and sometimes a 6 month warranty

if you are in virginia i'd be able to help you out but not sure where you are