Notices

Si Cam in DX

Old 07-01-2003, 11:37 AM
jung4g
Asianalize your car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Si Cam in DX

I finally have a car that pulls (a little)...

So I recenlty swapped in the MPFI with a Z6 manifold and PM6, and put in an Si tranny. It gave the car some fun, but last night I put in a 4g Si cam to replace my D15B1 (std) cam and she loves it. I had to put it in and do a valve adjustment, run it around for a bit, and redo the valves, but now she's hummin pretty. Over 5k she can actually suck you back into your seat... it's pretty cool...
next up is the ZC tranny with LSD (yeah!!)

Jung
Old 07-01-2003, 11:45 AM
matt j
midwest corn killer

nice, what if any timing issues did you run into (or have you not timed it yet) i want to do this but i am concerned about timing
Old 07-01-2003, 06:51 PM
ZiviCase10287
RacinMasonC

you can run a little advanced also if you wanted.
Old 07-02-2003, 07:11 AM
matt j
midwest corn killer

im just curious on what the cam has for timing on the dx, let me know cuz i am very curious
Old 07-02-2003, 09:36 AM
jung4g
Asianalize your car

No timing issues at all, I think some people just have trouble getting the belt on and getting the cam and Crank at TDC, just make three marks on the belt-- 1 @ the UP mark for TDC and one at each of the lines that should be parallel to the head, when you put the belt back on, you need to move the crank clockwise a little, slip the belt over the cam gear, and then move the crank counter clockwise to tension the belt, check both marks and you should be good.

For cam timing I left it as is, I lined it up perfectly with the TDC marks and all that. Basically lifted out the STD cam and put in the Si with no variation.

For spark timing I'm at about 16', I'm not exactly sure because I have both Timing belt covers removed and thus no marks to line up. I did have it farther advanced when I had the Std cam in though, and I'm going to advance it further a bit later, dial in that throttle response.

I'm not sure what the exact difference in duration and/or lift are, but I know that when you hold them side by side the Si is WAY BIGGER!! It's scary how much bigger they are, and the exhaust actually got louder from the bigger lobes ( I can't stand running it with the Silencer out ). It's definately worth the upgrade for anyone running a DX or Std. You could even do this upgrade before MPFI and all that... It'll just do more with more mods.

Jung