Notices

Odd...thunk?...Clunk?...Poing?

Old 06-12-2003, 04:16 PM
Magik

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odd...thunk?...Clunk?...Poing?

Did I get your attention with that title? Well, that's 'exactly' what it is...

Recently I've started getting this odd sound near the right/front of my civic (90 HB)...at first I thought that it might be a bad shock but it doesn't make the sound when I hit any bumps, only occasionally a little thunk. It does do it when I'm come to a stop and you get that little roll back when you come to a complete stop, Poing! Occasionally I get a little 'clunk' as I drive...and sometime when turning...it's really hard to pinpoint...but usually in motion.

help! this sounds expensive! (no pun intended)

Jason
Old 06-12-2003, 04:24 PM
jfiedler
Junior Member w/Fries

ball joints? broken spring? maybe a loose/damaged pin in the brake caliper? small child trapped under your car?
Old 06-12-2003, 04:50 PM
Magik

LOL...the first three I think are possible...the last one...nope checked!

Any other suggestions?

Jason
Old 06-12-2003, 06:54 PM
4thgen91EFhatch

cv joint?...mine makes a little clicking sound..the boot is busted and it's gettin worse...i need new axles but just holdin out til the ZC swap
Old 06-13-2003, 03:07 AM
Magik

How long does a cv joint typically last, cause I believe that they were replaced on the front (both) three years ago (Summer 02).

Should they be going already?

Anything else?

Jason
Old 06-13-2003, 06:56 AM
crxb16er

nah cv joints dont ping, just clunk when they slide out, and click in turns, possibly check ur exhaust hangers, i know they arent on the right front side but possibly it just sounds that way, especially check the ones by the passenger side wheel well, hose sit right above the suspension and if they fell would be resting on it, otherwise check ur shocks but ... that doesnt really seem like itd make alot of noticable noise, ud just have a crappy ride, check and make sure both of the strut tower bolts are still in place as well as the ones connecting ur control arm to the frame, if these come loose or off the can cause some strange sounds as ur suspension slides around, i once had one of my bolts come off on my camber kit cuz i didnt use enough locktite. if that doesnt help any sorry, and post again.