Notices

Why do my headlights change intensity randomly?

Old 05-12-2003, 12:42 PM
AwwsChwA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why do my headlights change intensity randomly?

I know that a bad alternator can cause headlight surging at various RPM, but my CRX has a very odd quirk...

Depending on what day of the week it is, whether the present month ends in "R", and what alignment the constellations are in, my car will have different brightness in its headlights. Some times they're nice and bright and I can see 100 feet of well-lit road ahead of me, and other times I can see about 30 feet of lit road.

I've heard that dim headlights can be caused by a bad chassis ground. All the ground wires are connected. The alternator is less than a year old. The bulbs are about as old as the alternator. Nothing I can think of is mechanically wrong. Anyone have ideas? Anyone else have quirky headlights? Thanks
Old 05-12-2003, 01:31 PM
crxb16er

its dependant on how much power ur battery has and how many apms are being drawn from it, if ur radio is on obviously ur cranking more amps, if ur cooling fan is on its gonna take more, for our little crx's u only need about 550 cca but u may want to go to like 650 just cuz they are older cars and we are losing some power thru olderwires, bad connections and the like, but ur amps do fluctuate in accordance to resistance in wires and connections and the like
Old 05-14-2003, 10:21 AM
Wb16crxW

make sure ur battery connections are nice and clean and tight, I had a problem where my car wouldn't even turn on at all, turned out my connects were hella dirty and a little loose, cleaned em up and tightened up and no problems so far.