Notices

Axle Wheel Bearings....

Old 04-30-2003, 12:00 PM
klowndwarf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Axle Wheel Bearings....

Anyone know how to get these dang things off I need to change both outer cv boots and I can't get the dang bearing housing and bearing off the half shafts. It was hell just to get the axle nut off, but now this? hehe. I know this must be simple because I see no mention of it around the net and here. thanks a bunch. (btw, I'm talking about my 87 crx si, but I assume the same procedure is correct for many jap cars) Thanks a bunch, Keith.
Old 04-30-2003, 02:10 PM
AwwsChwA

Ok, so let me see if what you're asking is correct...

You have the axle nut off, correct? And your goal is to remove the axles from the wheel hubs, yes?

Well, I don't know if you've done this yet, but I'll say it just in case. You have to separate the lower ball joint that holds the front lower control arm and the wheel spindle together. You'll need a screw-type balljoint separator to do that, if you want to preserve the joint. Let me know if you need more info on that. But, if that's already done, then disregard this. And read on.

Once the lower ball joint is taken apart, the entire wheel spindle will swing outward (still attached at the tie rod and upper ball joint), and you simply tap the outer end of the axle shaft to drive it out of the splines in the wheel hub.

Now, again, I don't know if you know this already, but you have to remove the entire axle from the vehicle to replace CV boots. The reason for that is that you cannot disassemble the outer CV joint. Only the inner one comes apart, so you have to pull out the entire axle, CAREFULLY disassemble the inner CV joint, and slide the old boots off the axle shaft that way.

So, I hope this isn't insulting your intelligence, I just don't know how much you've done already. Let us know if you need more help.
Old 04-30-2003, 04:35 PM
crxb16er

Originally posted by AwwsChwA
So, I hope this isn't insulting your intelligence.
i don't think it would be at all, you were very informational, i don't think i could have said it better myself. lol
Old 04-30-2003, 06:27 PM
klowndwarf

You explained it very well and If I hadn't had the axles out (like I didn't say) then I would now!! Thanks a ton man!! A Friend stopped over to pick up his engine lift while i was putting my rex back together (coincidentily I need the lift back again to put mine back in) and he said they pop right off with a little persuasin. You say that the outer stays? Cool, I'll do like you said and dissasemble from inner and slide the new ones on. I cut the old ones off awhile ago and cleaned up stuff to check my bearings. This is sweet, One week and 229 Us dollars later my rex is rebuilt and ready to run till this engine gives up on me...Oh wait...Its not even back in yet, hehe, knock on wood. Cedar point, here I come. Have fun you guys/gals thanks a ton!!!