Notices

anyone had their seats reupholstered?

Old 03-28-2003, 07:51 PM
AwwsChwA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone had their seats reupholstered?

My driver seat is really bad, I've got the left-side metal frame sticking through the side bolster. I need a racing seat, but money is tight, so if upholstering is cheaper, I may go for that. Anyone had it done? Does it turn out ok? Thanks
Old 03-29-2003, 05:24 AM
jc836

It depends on the shop that does it. Then there is the material you will need. If you are going to try to match the stock material that will not be as cheap as something that at least looks OK. Figure $100 to do the full thing including any foam they have to put in. Could be less, but I doubt it. You need to look for a real car upholstery place. Then again you could go to Pep Boys or the like and get a set of slip on covers and do it yourself. If you need a quality seat-think Sparco or similar real race seat with the FIA approval on it. Even a Kirkey can be had from Summit-if you do not mind the lack of adjustability that those afford you. Personally I like a real race seat that has been tinkered with for my body shape.

Hope thse thoughts help
Old 03-29-2003, 06:13 PM
prey23

u can spend less than 100$ n redo ur enitire interior like i did, but iz a lot of work!! heres a quickie on what i did....got vinyl leather from joann fabric, tore stock seat fabric off neatly and traced pattern, sewed new vinyl patterns together, and put back onto stock seats. Do any color scheme, iz tight but lotZa work ( u kno, i had to learn to use a damn sewing machine)!! took me bout3 wks but save tonz of $$$.
Old 03-30-2003, 01:38 AM
Fujiwara Takumi
It's my first day.

re upholstery is rarely "that much" cheaper than a new set of racing seats, so if you like the seats do it, if you think you may replace them with the real deal at some point than save the money.

my dx seats are tore to shit, but i really like them, so i may have them repaired.
Old 03-30-2003, 01:39 AM
Fujiwara Takumi
It's my first day.

Originally posted by prey23
u can spend less than 100$ n redo ur enitire interior like i did, but iz a lot of work!! heres a quickie on what i did....got vinyl leather from joann fabric, tore stock seat fabric off neatly and traced pattern, sewed new vinyl patterns together, and put back onto stock seats. Do any color scheme, iz tight but lotZa work ( u kno, i had to learn to use a damn sewing machine)!! took me bout3 wks but save tonz of $$$.
fabric from a fabric store is not the same as upholstery for furniture, not only will it fade quicker, but the pile is more lightweight and it wont wear as well. do you wear any tshirts as much as you sit in yoru car seat?
Old 03-31-2003, 08:54 AM
statikeffeck

Originally posted by prey23
Wow you actually created your own seat cover!! thats really customizing.
Old 03-31-2003, 01:47 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

The last time I went for seat reupholstery (92 Integra, tan leather) the shop wanted $500 each for vinyl, or $700 each for original color leather. That's $1000 for two seats in vinyl. For that I'd take a pair of Sparcos. This is the shop that my Acura dealer sends their cars to, they do really great work, but for that price they didn't do mine.