Notices

Buying a CRX - Need some counsel

Old 02-21-2003, 03:38 PM
anubis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a CRX - Need some advice

I am a new member, still shopping for a nice CRX/CRX Si, and had a question -

I originally set out to get a 90-91 CRX Si. The nicest ones I have found have 145k-200k. Other than the miles, they are in very good shape, as far as paint, interior, etc...and have original owners with good repair/service histories.

For about the same price, I have found a couple of 90-91 straight CRX's with much less miles, in the 60-80k range. Also original owners and good service histories.

The purpose of the car is to have a fun car to commute and weekend around in (like a cheap mini cooper!)

I will not be swapping engines, and only do bolt on performance (intake/exhaust, suspension, wheels/tires etc)

I know these cars last a long time, but given what differences there are in the Si (four wheel discs, sway bar, more hp etc) would it be better to get a higher mileage Si and deal with any maintenance issues that come up, or a "fresher" CRX and then bolt on some more hp and handling.

I welcome any feedback/comments. Thank you!

BCA
Old 02-21-2003, 04:26 PM
GreenMachineREX
Banned

if you think about it...150,000 really isn't that high for a honda..my CRX 91 si, just got 150,000 2 days ago..runs strong, but like all things that get old, u gotta repair them....

i bought mine with about 146,000 or so miles. 91 si CRX. Perfect interior other then a small hole in the driver side seat, and the seat belt dents in the door, which all older civics crxs mostly have...

the body had its usal rust, nothing extreme, other then very noticable about 4 rust bubbles on the top of the sun roof which were repainted...

small dings, nothing major...

engine bay was dirty as hell, and i put a lot into it so far ( timing belt, water pump etc. ) and bout to put in a new clutch...

paid $2000 for it..can't beat a deal like that...

if you would like to see pics of it i have tons....

but for ur interest, if you just want a comuter, get a HF which is the stand model, but if youare looking for perfromance get the SI, miles take a long time to build up, and stock engines are pretty cheap, buddy got a stock si engine for somewhere arpund $600 i belive
Old 02-21-2003, 04:57 PM
White91Teg

in my opinion, get an hf with lots of miles and spend about a $700 on a new zc engine tranny and ecu then about another $400 to hae it put in. then u will have a great running low milage rex to play with. this will cost you less than 2 grand... total. just my two cents (wait maybe because i just bought an 88hf with 196k for $500? hmmm)

Brett
Old 02-21-2003, 05:12 PM
brtecson
pukimonster

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

first and foremost, welcome to the board :thumbup:

i agree with greenrex, that 150k isnt that much for a honda. the car in my sig had 306k before having an engine swap. it went thru a tranny and a clutch, but still impressive none the less. btw, the engine was swapped because of the need for speed, not because there was any probs.

i would go for the slightly sportier si with more miles. working on hondas is very simple, so any work that you may have to do can be done with the snap of a finger. an hf or dx will be slow, and putting bolt-ons will make it end up more expensive than an si, but still not as fast and not as fun.

dont completely rule out the possibility of engine swaps. you never know, you may want a little extra gusto. hf's and si's are the best cars in general for swaps, because they are mpfi.

hope this helped
Old 02-22-2003, 10:43 AM
anubis

Thanks to all!

This does help a great deal, I will look more closely at the two high mile Si's and go from there.

I appreciate the info, gents.

Cordially,

BCA
Old 02-22-2003, 05:01 PM
brtecson
pukimonster

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally posted by anubis

Cordially,
btw, where are you located?
Old 02-22-2003, 07:20 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Default Re: Buying a CRX - Need some advice

Originally posted by anubis
I will not be swapping engines, and only do bolt on performance (intake/exhaust, suspension, wheels/tires etc)
That's what you think. When you do all the bolt-ons, you will say "gee, this is still kinda pokey!" and about a year later you will be sitting behind a T3/T4 hybrid turbo'd B18C and saying, "I NEED more power!" Do not be alarmed, this is normal.:thumbup:

That aside, I agree with everyone else that has posted prior to me, stick with Si and HF frames to avoid the DPFI to MPFI conversion.
Old 02-23-2003, 08:05 AM
anubis

I'm in the SF Bay Area, Oakland.

Thanks again for the good info !

BCA