Notices

84 crx issue

Old 06-28-2009, 03:59 PM
sr_240

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 84 crx issue

Okay so I have a 1984, 1.5 civic crx. The damn thing is burning oil and don't know why!

I replaced most all gaskets...
Replaced the pcv...
It has great compression numbers on all cylinders (so I am assuming the rings are doing alright)...
The carb has been rebuilt...a few times. . .
New valves, seals, springs, cam...
New oil sump. . .
Etc, etc, etc.

I think I've wasted more time and money than any benefit I'm getting...which is 40-45 mpg...which is good

Anyhoo...any help or suggestions would be great...thanks!
Old 06-28-2009, 04:48 PM
mcclain_stephen
mugen power anyone???

Default compression?

you never said how much comp. you are getting on each cylinder?? how much do you think is enough?? the only way it could be smoking is rings bad gaskets bad, or too much oil in the motor? where is it smoking???if out the exhaust one of the first is the prob. if it is smiking from the engine bay have you pressure washed the motor??to get al,l oil off the components that get hot?? hope this helps.
Originally Posted by sr_240
Okay so I have a 1984, 1.5 civic crx. The damn thing is burning oil and don't know why!

I replaced most all gaskets...
Replaced the pcv...
It has great compression numbers on all cylinders (so I am assuming the rings are doing alright)...
The carb has been rebuilt...a few times. . .
New valves, seals, springs, cam...
New oil sump. . .
Etc, etc, etc.

I think I've wasted more time and money than any benefit I'm getting...which is 40-45 mpg...which is good

Anyhoo...any help or suggestions would be great...thanks!
Old 06-29-2009, 08:42 AM
sr_240

I forget the numbers now, but they were appropriate according to the Honda manual. It's been cleaned pretty thoroughly. We removed the exhaust and cleaned it up, but still smokes. The only thing we can think of is the oil control rings...which the car probably wouldn't be worth that much work...especially since I just recently bought a 93 civic. Thanks for the help, though!