Notices

88-89 dash removal for 88-89 cluster with tach

Old 06-27-2009, 10:41 PM
Chefboiali
scrotal surge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 88-89 dash removal for 88-89 cluster with tach

I'm helping my friend by doing a d15b vtec swap into his 88 Civic while he's working out of state. I ordered a cluster with tach from ebay today. Good price and thank God I found this post, because I got the right one.

Originally Posted by nexgen91
Hey iv done this cluster swap twice, went through about 3 or 4 clusters all together, (I was making white guages, and messed two of them up). I used to have am 89 DX and I put an Si cluster in it. I now have a 91 DX with a 4 EX cluster in it so yes any model will work as long as you have the right year, just make sure you get an 88 or 89 if you have a 88 or 89 or a 90/91 if you have a 90/91. Good luck!!
Ok... Now that I know I got the right one, how do I get the dash out? I've searched but came up with nothing. I'm pretty sure you have to pull it, but before I go tugging on stuff, can anyone shed some light?
Old 06-28-2009, 04:17 PM
PacificDude
Sharkbait OOHAHA!

Hope this helps

Old 06-28-2009, 04:41 PM
mcclain_stephen
mugen power anyone???

Default dash removal???

why would you remove the whole dash in order to replace the guage cluster??it's like 2 phillips screws with a stubby at the back of the cluster cover and like maybe 6 more screws holding the cluster itself in place then you have to un plug speedo and a few other things and ur done.hope this helps!! dont do more work than you have to !!lol! also take the steering wheel off dont waste ur time dropping the whole column. have fun!

Last edited by mcclain_stephen; 06-28-2009 at 04:43 PM.
Old 06-28-2009, 10:34 PM
PacificDude
Sharkbait OOHAHA!

Good point. For just the cluster you only need to take the bezel off. There are 4 screws total. 2 are under the little caps to hide them on top. The other 2 are at the bottom corners.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:52 AM
Chefboiali
scrotal surge

Originally Posted by PacificDude
Hope this helps
Thanks for that!

Originally Posted by mcclain_stephen
why would you remove the whole dash in order to replace the guage cluster??it's like 2 phillips screws with a stubby at the back of the cluster cover and like maybe 6 more screws holding the cluster itself in place then you have to un plug speedo and a few other things and ur done.hope this helps!! dont do more work than you have to !!lol! also take the steering wheel off dont waste ur time dropping the whole column. have fun!
Thanks for shedding some light. There's no way in hell I WANT to take the dash out. lol I've replaced the dash on my 92 hatch with one from a 95 with a passenger side airbag, and replaced the cluster that way.

Originally Posted by PacificDude
Good point. For just the cluster you only need to take the bezel off. There are 4 screws total. 2 are under the little caps to hide them on top. The other 2 are at the bottom corners.
Lovely

Thanks guys!

Last edited by Chefboiali; 06-29-2009 at 08:53 AM.
Old 07-02-2009, 04:49 PM
Chefboiali
scrotal surge

It was a little trickier than I thought. Once you get the dimmer switch and defrost switch out, you can't be scared to pull on the cluster shade. The snapping noises make me think I'm breaking the shit out of it. :nervous:

Works . Tach and gauges all work. I have to carefully switch the clear plastic, because the donor cluster has a crack in it. I already practiced on the cracked one, so I'll be even more careful on the new one.

Thanks again, guys!