Notices

GSR gauge cluster swap

Old 05-01-2009, 06:52 PM
Black_B18C1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GSR gauge cluster swap

I have a 91 civic dx std with a obd1 b16a. I swapped a 94 gsr cluster into it. I have seen shit tons of how to's to do this swap. All of them are on non vtec engines. The electric vss works in conjunction with the vtec switch. I have no vtec. I tested my computer,vtec pressure switch, and vtec solenoid on my buddies car. They all work fine. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 05-02-2009, 03:53 AM
A-series
v-card member alpha

So the VTEC did engage/switch before the cluster swap? I can't remember for sure if that car has the VSS that reads off the tranny or not. It was '90 that the prelude switched to that, since the new civic came out for '92 model year, I'd guess your '91 is the older setup... It's not going to engage as you've found out unless the ECU knows that it's traveling above 13 or so mph. Is it the '91 trans. you're running or did it come w/ the engine?
Old 05-02-2009, 08:15 AM
Black_B18C1

Yes the vtec worked before the cluster swap. I have a 93 ls cable tranny with 94 ls vss. I think i need to run the signal wire off the vss to pin b10 on the ecu. I have the signal wire going to the orange wire on the cluster witch makes the spedo work. I have been looking at alot of peoples diagrams and they say to run the signal wire to pin b11 on the ecu. That is probally my problam. I will try pin b10 when i get home. Thank you for your time.
Old 05-02-2009, 10:15 PM
A-series
v-card member alpha

Not sure, if you didn't touch anything on the VSS itself or at the ECU, why changing the cluster would prevent the ECU from getting a reading from the VSS but I'm not too knowledgeable on cluster swaps.

Good luck, I think you already have a better grasp of the situation than I do.