Notices

Rotor Screws?

Old 11-19-2008, 05:42 PM
gingas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rotor Screws?

Ladies & gents how's it going? I switched my front Si's for my steels for winter. I noticed my front rotors were not steady & missing the 2 screws that hold the rotors in place.
I bought 4 more screws for each side. Now all 4 screws are broke off. With this saying. Do I need to replace anything xtra or I just need to have the broken scews drilled out.
I appreciate any advice to what to do.
Thanks
Old 11-19-2008, 08:08 PM
ChrisS

The rotors are clamped to the wheel hub by the lug nuts when the wheel is mounted.
I think the screws holding the rotors to the hub are just there so rotor doesn't wobble when you're doing a runout test without the wheel mounted.
(just use a screw extractor and some penetrating oil to back the broken off screws out)
I wonder why those screws are breaking. (screws too tight and rotors turn slightly to engage the lug studs = snap off the screw heads?)
Old 11-21-2008, 06:58 PM
gingas

Should I take the caliper & rotors off as I'm doing my brakes? Whenever I last had brakes done they could've tighten them too much. Not sure.
Old 11-21-2008, 08:52 PM
DakarM

clean out the threads with a metal brush and use a dab of anti seize on the new screws. I do this with all new cars I buy and never had any problems.
LCD Squad #0001
Originally Posted by WiLL
...I really wanna get out and shoot people.
Old 12-06-2008, 03:07 PM
TRLMech

Those screws are redundant, they aren't supposed to be really tight or it will make it difficult to remove. I believe the screws go right through the hub don't they? Or are they blind screw holes, i can't remember, either way if they go right through, just use a slightly smaller drill bit and drill right through, if you're lucky, the broken stud will catch and drive right out the back, if not, use a pick and carefully try and unscrew them since they should be already loose. If that doesn't work, use the method mentioned above, and use an extractor. Careful not to use too much force since you don't want to break a hardened steel extractor off inside the hole. If all else fails, just replace the hub assembly. You can buy a used unit fairly cheap. Good luck, I hate broken bolts.
Old 12-09-2008, 12:02 PM
2ltrEGhatch

what i would watch out for.. is when you go and tap the holes.. try not to break the tap off in the hub where the rotors screw on... those are alot more fun drilling out just saying

and yea they go through the hub..well i know they do on my 93si

Last edited by 2ltrEGhatch; 12-09-2008 at 12:08 PM.