Honda-Acura.net

Honda-Acura.net (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/index.php)
-   CRX & Pre 92 Civic (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/crx-and-pre-92-civic-8/)
-   -   ZC vs. B16a1 (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/crx-and-pre-92-civic/39330-zc-vs-b16a1.html)

Sandee 12-12-2002 09:05 AM

ZC vs. B16a1

Okay...My thing is, I've been debating on whether I should get a b18 or b16...but then I decided to go with a b16. Even though I'd like to turbo it up...Yes I know lower compression ratio (which is lower w/out vtec...blah blah blah) BUT~ I still wanted b16. I just thought about it and I just decided that maybe I want a ZC it has higher torque lower HP but the torque does a lot more for me...I have a 91' CRX...oh yeah duh lol Im in a crx/pre civic forum LOL~woo, Im stupid. so ZC or b16a? my boyfriend says ZC would be better for me, soo???

jaje 12-12-2002 09:57 AM

you are a type whatever comes to mind person aren't you?

what model crx do you have?

the low down:
zc is cheaper to buy and install (all d series do not require mounts)...zc is also misleading b/c there were several different flavors (dohc, sohc, sohc-vtec)

the b16a is more powerful and has more potential...it costs more and requires mounts and some minor wiring...it has the biggest aftermarket for any sport compact engine

WhiteRice 12-12-2002 10:35 AM

I'm biased in my opinion, but I say go w/the ZC. People say the ZC's are less stable then the b16's, i say blah. It's less expensive, and less of a hassle then the b16. Plus it leaves a TON of money left over for forced induction, if you go w/a ZC compared to a b16!!

hybridhondahatch 12-12-2002 11:45 AM

white rice is on a mission to convert evryone into a zc lover :p

IMO unless ur afraid of forced induction id say go w/ the ZC they have plenty of potential and pretty much anything from the bottom end and some parts of the head will be the same as it would be for a any other d series honda motor so its not that hard to find performance parts for

b18bs are a great choice too, better than a b16 (IMO torque ownes me) and can be found for a few hundred bux more. but u still need a mount kit

WhiteRice 12-12-2002 12:39 PM

Originally posted by 88hondahatch
white rice is on a mission to convert evryone into a zc lover :p

haha :thumbup: I had a b16 and was going to be dropping it into my hatch (have since sold both), and found it to be more of a headache then anything. Then I got introduced to the ZC. The rest is history. We lived happily ever after!!! hehe

hybridhondahatch 12-12-2002 01:02 PM

Originally posted by WhiteRice
haha :thumbup: I had a b16 and was going to be dropping it into my hatch (have since sold both), and found it to be more of a headache then anything. Then I got introduced to the ZC. The rest is history. We lived happily ever after!!! hehe
as u and the ur rex drive happily off into the sunset. :)

lude_conduct 12-12-2002 01:43 PM

eh. i did it smart, spent more now on a b16a, hasport everything, centerforce dual friction clutch, exhaust, msd wires, full tune up, synthetic oil, and going fi later, you can do only so much on a d series engine. i dont want to get in an argument, to each there own, but my friend had a zc in his 4th gen hatch and i could beat him in my crx si really badly. sure he payed less then my b16a..... but you get what you pay for.

crxrocks 12-12-2002 03:47 PM

I hate these threads... they lead to nothing but trouble.

Chris

RiceBoysDream 12-12-2002 04:42 PM

zc are good for the budget racer like me, if i ever get a 87 hatch/crx si ima throw in a zc and kill alota people with it.maybe its just me but i think the zc is a good bang for the buck if your a cheap person looking for some good afordable performance. and easy swap conversion.

peace

TurboLex 01-06-2003 10:05 AM

so basically id say if you can afford the more powerful engines go with that. all are good choices, just ask yourself what you can afford.